1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suit inflate - what percentage is it essential?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, May 5, 2019.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What percentage of helium would preclude using a backgas fed drysuit inflator?

Obviously 21/35 onwards. But given the price of helium these days -- 6.5p in Scapa -- I'm much more likely to get a little squirt, say 10 or 15% just to keep the narc at bay. Would I notice this in my drysuit?

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Almost certainly not, but why spunk mix on inflating your suit when a suit bottle full of air is easy to carry?

6.5p/litre? Are you not on Halton? I thought it was more like 8p but I may be wrong.

#2 nickb, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

BTW, don't expect to just rock-up here and expect mix to be available, especially in the volumes required for open circuit. Helium is harder (and way more expensive) to source here than on the mainland and most skippers have to order it in when required.

The lead times can be in the order of many weeks too, so it's best to chat with your prospective skipper early if you want to avoid disappointment.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks Nick.

I've been told of the prices which means I'll probably be limiting it to one or two dives and only if it's available.

The question over suit inflate was raised just in case my suit inflate bottle's not back in time. Although I'd just borrow one if it came to that.

5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It fits a Helitrox type mix, say 25/20, you’ll not even notice. Especially if it’s a top on a half full cylinder.

Regardless, the deeper dives are generally in the morning, so that is your ideal mix. The afternoon dives are generally shallow so an air top is all that is required. If you decant then the He is only a few %.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Following on from the "my suit inflate bottle's been condemned following its first test" issue...

Default is to get a 1 litre steel suit inflate. Just before I do, is it worth considering a 1.5 litre ali bottle? They're a lot larger than the steel 1 litre; do they get in the way? Any other issues they cause? Are they better for a box?

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Their size is the only down side. Doubt there optimal on OC if your going to mount it down the side of a BP. On Ccr they tend to get fixed onto the frame/box somewhere so less of an issue.

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

You get cold easily so I’d say >1% helium.

9. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I couldn’t get on with a 1.5 litre ali mounted on my BP. It fouled the dump so left me using the inflator for dumping duties on that one dive.

I have other plans for CCR though I haven’t used them yet.

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

1.5l works on the back of a gbox (behind the diluent bottle) works and 20ah battery pack just about works on the waistband (narrowly avoiding getting in the way of the exhale dump valve in the BMCL).

Tribal Chestnut likes this.