1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storing part-used scrubbers

Discussion in 'Rebreathers Closed and Semi Closed Circuit' started by nickb, Jan 11, 2017.

1. nickb

nickb Active Member

At last year's Eurotek, Simon Mitchell gave a presentation on storing partially-used scrubbers.

Until then, I'd always been happy to leave mine on a shelf in my garage but he showed some convincing evidence that storing them in an air-tight container would keep the lime from deteriorating somewhat.

After that, I started keeping mine in a plastic bag when it wasn't in my unit. However, I recently bought a vacuum sealer for keeping food fresh for longer and preventing freezer burn.

Turns-out, the bags are just big enough to fit my JJ scrubbers. Here's my radial:

[​IMG]

barrygoss likes this.
  2. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Mine sits in the can with the Narked KISS lid on it.

B

3. nickb

nickb Active Member

I have two scrubbers. I can only fit one in the can at any one time ;)

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

You need another can... ;)

I used to put mine in a drybag and seal it but was advised it wasn't necessary so stopped. I will now resume that practice.

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

yeah, I have a lid and plug from N@90 that seal the scrubber canister so the lime can't dry out, or absorb CO2.

6. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

overnight wasn't an issue but there was a big difference between lime left open for any extended period.

Their results also showed that the lime in the sealed container made some recovery and had a longer life after a month in storage than it had if it was dived the next day.

Doomanic likes this.
  7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Anyone got a link to the research stuff?

8. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Interesting - particularly the "recovery" - from a chemist's viewpoint that makes no sense at first sight.
    I wonder if there is something happening to do with the water content, and the re-distribution of "spent" lime from the surface of the granules to the middle - a solid state equilibration of sorts?