1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoney Cove weekdays in the morning

Discussion in 'Dive Buddy Finder' started by jfr15867, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

It never too cold to dive. Just need the right undersuit. You get better vis during the colder weather and the dive sites are not as busy. I really want to try some ice diving.

2. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

I feel curious about ice diving. Something to do in the future.

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Some of the photos I have seen under the ice look awsome.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

I had a go a few years ago with a couple of mates, at 8 acre lake. It had frozen over so we took the opportunity to do the PADI ice diver spec. It was really good fun couple of days.

I'd love to go somewhere properly cold and do some more someday.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just curious -- never ice dived: what do you use for a guideline under ice? I'd expect you'd use a rope; is it tied off? How long is it allowed to be? Is it surface deployed or does the diver control it (as in cave diving)?

OK, sure Google would answer this!

6. splinter

splinter Active Member

Rope. It's not tied off, but fed out by surface support. Each diver is fastened together and the rope goes back to the opening in the ice. I don't recall there being a maximum length, I guess it depends on the dive site.

The idea being you use the line to signal back, every few minutes you give a tug on the line to indicate all is ok or several sharp pulls means something has gone tits up, pull us back.

We were taught you need a team of six, 2 divers, 2 surface support paying out line and 2 safety divers. No idea if this is how it's done in the real world, but that's how we were shown.

Wibble likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Interesting. More like commercial divers than cave divers.

Definitely wouldn't want a bit of string for diving under a changing environment and I bet it's 'fun' climbing out of the hole too!

8. splinter

splinter Active Member

For the dives it was a shore entry, so no more difficult than usual. We did practice cutting holes in the ice and climbing out was a challenge, even in just a drysuit. A triangular hole is supposed to be optimal, but ours were more random shaped holes.

9. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

The first day of training with a drysuit in a pool. I hate pools, too shallow, too small too warm.
    Next dive in Stoney Cove. Day to be determined. I think is two dives.
    In the pool did not have problems with the inversion (I think that is the name when you have air in the legs). Reconnect the inflation hose was a bit more difficult but mastered in less than a minute.
    Buoyancy requires practice, but I was aware of it. And trim. That is why I am in a rush to get in the water. I need practice.
    Happy of being in action again, and searching for an affordable drysuit.

10. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Well done. It does take some getting used too. Connecting and disconnecting inflation hose can be tricky with gloves on.

There is a massive pool being made for use by scuba divers, army and lots of other business. 50mx35m surface area going down to a depth of 50m.

11. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Long time without posting.

I finished my drysuit training and also get a second-hand drysuit. Is an Otter Hammer Head suit. Including an undersuit (very warm.) and hose.

Last week I joined a diving club in Nuneaton, and Saturday when to dive at Stoney Cove with some of the members. Very nice and helpful people.

After setting the gear I found a leak in the pressure gauge and M borrowed me his spare one.

Once in the water I started having problems with my weight belt, and almost lost it. Out of the water, change the belt, but still having problems. Since I started diving in Mexico, I find that water compress my body and the belt come loose causing me problems of stability, and this time was even worst, almost losing the weights (also borrowed by another member, M.)

At this moment my frustration was growing, feeling embarrassment for delaying (almost ruining) M’s diving, also, my suit was to tight on my neck, starting to affect my circulation and the body temperature building up. I asked M and H to go diving, meanwhile, I would try to solve the problem. But my mood was more into calling the day. Instead, bought a harness. Glad I did it.

Finally, I went to the water and enjoyed a 30 minutes dive. Between 6 and 10 meters (I have to check the computer for more exact data). I used 80 bars on a 15 litres cylinder which I think is good for someone of my size.

About the gauge: I bought it at SC two months ago, then after explaining the problem, the guy tested the gauge in front of me. No leak found. I was too tyred for a second dive, then head to home, but will try the gauge again this week.

Lessons learned:

I need tools. Some wrenches and Allen keys.

In contained environments like SC, I can rent replacement parts but have to think in spare parts if want to dive in open waters or far from any club or dive shop.

The inflation valve in the suit does not turn, then a longer hose will become necessary, but not urgent.

The deflation valve a bit stiff. I will have to be more vigilant if want to dive deeper.

I need a lighter undersuit as even in cold water I was sweating.

Finally, a big thank you to the members that made possible for me to dive this weekend. You have been very patient and proactive.

Jorge

12. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi Jorge
    Sound a familiar tale in the early days - you sound as if you thought things through well. I dive with a harness too - as well as avoiding the risk of losing your weights underwater, I find that it makes it easier on shore as you support it from your shoulders. It will get better.:whistling:

13. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Totally agree.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Excellent news.

Gauges often leak if they are twisted under pressure. The O-rings break on the joint. You should position the gauge before pressurising. They can be a bit intermittent and may "champagne" a little bit of gas. Do have a spare O-ring in your spares box.

There's the old adage: the more you practice the easier things become. Every dive you do means more practice, so every dive gets easier.