1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoney Cove weekdays in the morning

Discussion in 'Dive Buddy Finder' started by jfr15867, Mar 6, 2018.

1. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

I am looking for a buddy for the weekdays in the mornings. I am only open water, with 4 dives. Looking to gain experience.

Thanks for reading,

Jorge

2. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Hi Buddy.
    Do you dive in dry suit?
    Lee

jfr15867 likes this.
  3. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Hello Leeb.
    No, I do not dive with a drysuit, only wetsuits for now.

4. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

I would like to clarify that I am also open to dive weekends, but because others activities, will require more planning in advance.

5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I am up for some diving. Only thing I am concerned about is water temp. I am a dry suit diver so the temp is not an issue to me.

6. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Surface water temp @ Stoney was 3.8c on Saturday....

(Some mad fools were even swimming)

7. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Crazy fools. I defo not be in there in no less than a dry suit. What was them temp at the bottom.

8. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

After an investigation, I start thinking of taking the drysuit training. My main concern is not much temperature, as I work in a yard, and even with snow, but do not want to ruin others people dive if I have to call the day because can cope with the situation.
    Thank you for call my attention on this issue.

9. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

We are all here to help each other other to progress and enjoy diving.

I dont mind diving with anyone. But if I did come stoney for a dive I am coming all the way from essex. Coming from essex is not a issue but want a enjoyable dive. But so does everyone else so I like diving in conditions where every one is comfortable and everyone enjoys the dive. The dive is about everyone participating in it not one or two people.

I would recomend dry suit training for uk diving. I see you work in cold conditions but being under water at depth for long periods of time the cold does start to get to you. One bit of advice I would give you that is my own personal opinion. Get your own dry suit to learn in. I know dry suits are expensive but you might be lucky to find a second hand one that is a good fit. I have had friends that have done there dry suit course but get put off as they find boyancy hard underwater. But they was diving in rental drysuits that was not a very good fit. One of my mates said he would never dive in a drysuit. Now he loves it and even when we been abroad he has said he wished he brought his dry suit. My next trip to malta I probably take my dry suit with me as I was feeling the cold at some of the deeper wrecks.

10. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I enjoy helping people learn and progress. But I am not perfect my self and enjoy learning stuff from other divers. Somedays my navigation is really good and other times I get lost. this is the main thing I want to master.

11. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

My only experience in the British waters was in October'17 doing paddle boarding, but every time I fell (which was every time) couldn't see anything. Don't know if Swansea waters are mercy all the time or were at that time, but if that is usual in the UK, good navigation skills are a must.
    Do you use an arm compass or a retractable one? I bought a retractable since will be doing only enclose water this year, and during my training with one in my arm feel not comfortable.
    But for mastering, I have to master everything, my first goal is to improve my buoyancy control. Til then will not enjoy diving as much as I could.

12. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

They say UK divers are the best divers in the world as we have the worse conditions. Vis can be nothing to a few meters. The best vis I ever had in UK was at Vobster at about 20m.
    I can do basic navigation. But at stoney I like to plan a whole dive with multiple attractions and visit them all without surfacing untill i back at the steps to get out. I normally plan my dive write the barings from the map on my slate and try to use this to navigate underwater.

Once you sort your boyancy out you air usage will come down as you get more comfortable then you get longer dive times. I was only able to stay down about 20mins when I first started. Now coming up to two years and 80 dives later I normally down for around a hour depending on depth and if i get too cold.

Buoyancy is harder in a dry suit but once you master it your be better off in a dry suit. Even in a dry suit tho you can feel the cold on a dive. You have to get the right undersuit to make you warm and comfortarble underwater.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Absolutely, this is the fundamental skill - once you have really cracked buoyancy, you have the leisure to sort out everything else under control. It's taken me 50+ dives and I hope that I've got there in a dry suit, wet suit diving is generally simpler.

14. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Working in the cold is different than diving in the cold as, in theory, in the water you shouldn't be working so you get colder quicker.

However you can still dive in a wet suit its normally an issue topside between dives.

15. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I have never dived in the uk in a wet suit so have only seen other people with me complaining about the cold.

I was diving in turkey in a wet suit. Towards the end of the holiday once my body had got used to the temp. I was feeling cold in 20 degree water.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

At the moment it's sodding cold. 3 degrees in the puddles and definitely drysuit conditions with lots of layers and even heating systems.

If you're planning on diving in the UK you should have a drysuit as it's good for all-year diving whereas a wetsuit is realistically just for the peak season.

Personally I use my drysuit abroad in warm waters too (although to be fair, I don't dive abroad that much).

Not sure of the value of a course as you need to do a fair few dives to really crack the buoyancy issues, i.e. JFDI. Best place to learn is a drift dive.

17. splinter

splinter Active Member

Couldn't agree more. It was 4 degrees in Stoney today but there were still a fair few students diving in wet suits. Some of them did three dives too! They looked bloody cold!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

18. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

My face was numb after that first dive at 65 mins. But the warm air temp soon warmed me up. Was not too busy at stoney today so was a good day.

19. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

I tried to do a guided dive with a professional, but he explains me he can not take me with wetsuit because has H&S responsibilities to fulfil. Hence, drysuit training in two weeks (to be agreed this week) and meanwhile searching for an accessible drysuit. I could wait till my finance is in better shape, but I need to be in the water. After my initial diving experience, the swiming pool became soo boring. Really anxious about joining you into the water.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush, it's bloody cold at the moment and seriously trying my dedication! A drysuit is most definitely the best way to go for UK diving. Makes diving that much more pleasant (except in these extreme cold conditions!).

Hopefully the company you're doing the course with will have a drysuit that fits. They're a bit Goldilocks; not too tight, not too loose.