1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoney Cove Car Parking - Weekend

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by reefer, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Dave has got it spot on; NDAC has the best puddle and staff that can't do enough for you, but the trek to water is a chore.
    Stoney is OK, if you can get a decent parking spot, but the staff are indifferent at best and often downright obnoxious, especially in the shop.
    I've only been to Vobster once and didn't really enjoy it. We were only there because we'd been blown out and the conditions were miserable. I had a sense of humour failure and sat in the car sulking all afternoon.

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Rebreather, scooter and 2 AL80 stages does add to the experience.

I've had more 'oops!' moments at NDAC than all other locations combined, ranging from a suit bottle falling into the water ( a diver brought it up moments later), a fin in the water (recovered weeks later) and deciding to practice a bailout ascent from 60m to have the disappointment of not having switched it back on.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Agree with all of the above.

One other benefit of NDAC is the visibility tends to be clearer as it's not a silty quarry like Stoney and Vobster, and especially any of the south-east's silty lakes.

There's fewer raw novice students too, so less sediment disturbed as a result.

Personally, I'd sooner put up with NDAC's foibles than go to any of the other quarries.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

After all that talk of parking trouble, today was one of the quietest weekend days I've ever seen at stoney. There were still spaces at 8.30, not sure it filled up all day and had started to empty by midday.

Reefer and I had 3 cracking dives and it was great to see how well he progressed with his new drysuit.

It was a really good day.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

reefer, Wibble and Doomanic like this.
  5. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Its not only the car park issues ts the horrible diver unfriendly catering you get there at stupid o clock and once you get parked it was a misserable hours wait for the canteen hatch to open.then huddel under a small gezebo to eat a bacon bap. Dont get cheesey chips as they cant be arsed to melt the cheese. No kitting up benches a slipway entry point that is a slipway. I have found the shop staff helpful though, although not the compressor room.

6. reefer

reefer Member

Like a muppet, I got there for 6. I could have got the same parking space at the waterfront if I'd arrived at 07:30!

Was a fantastic day for me - thanks splinter. I'm really pleased with the new dry suit - takes some of the pain away from the initial outlay cost wise. We will have matching suits soon :woot:

Wibble and splinter like this.
  7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yeah it's gutted me a couple of times to pay for parking only to be there on a quiet day. Not always poss but mon-fri is positively idyllic. I attempt to be organised with a flask and my fave buddy rocks up with sausage rolls. A rebreather avoids miserable gas monkeys and you can lap the lake in about 90-105 mins with no deco. We all need a rebreather but some of you are in denial :whistling:

splinter and Wibble like this.
  8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

With our recces for a house move to the Midlands, we'll be within easy distance in the next couple of months, hopefully for a day or two's weekday dives. I'll be asking for a buddy then with easy parking.

9. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Fixed that for you ;)

I'm there next Saturday with OD trainees

B

Wibble and Vanny like this.