1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoney Cove Car Parking - Weekend

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by reefer, Oct 4, 2017.

1. reefer

reefer Member

Please can anyone provide any tips on the weekend parking situation at Stoney?

I know it is possible to pay £10 to reserve a slot, but what about 'normal' parking?

I have heard talk about divers queuing from 5am on a weekend to get near the water. Is that really what happens?

How far away are the overflow car parks?

Thanks

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

You have to be a member to reserve a slot and you need to do it on Monday for the following weekend.

Yes, people will be queuing from god awful o'clock most summer weekends. If the coast has been blown out it's worse.

Far enough that I'd turn around and go home rather than use them. Distance isn't the only problem; Stoney have not provided any kitting up benches by the water.

3. reefer

reefer Member

All the more reason why I'd want the car boot semi near the water.

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Exactly the point I was making.

5. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

I hate Stoney Cove with a passion and (if it is the only option for getting wet) will only go there midweek.

6. reefer

reefer Member

I can see I am in for quite a hike this weekend and next then :geek:

7. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've got a parking slot booked for Sunday. If you don't manage to get parked in the bottom car park, we'll bring your kit down and you can kit up from the boot of my car or use my trestle.

I've got there about 7 am before and managed to get a space, but it's a bit of a lottery. People will be queuing from before 6.

By mid afternoon, people will be starting to leave. I usually bring my car down then so at least I don't have to drag the kit all the way back again.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

reefer likes this.
  8. reefer

reefer Member

You are a star. Happy to go halves on you with the reservation fee - or sort you coffees!
    I thought people were joking when they said the car parks were bad.

Think I will have to book a slot for the following week, as I've got my dry suit primer course booked now. I'm certain there will be wing adjustments and weight changes recommended, so nearby boot will ease the pain.

splinter likes this.
  9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I'm likely to be going there late November or December for my BSAC Sports Diver dives - do the hordes ease off as the water gets colder?

10. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

The water is lovely in November and December :)

But yes, it does get quieter - February is one of my favourite times to dive NDAC

11. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

The other option to get space is to turn up at about 10am, when some of the early people have done their single dive and gone home.

reefer likes this.
  12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

13. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

14. snowman

snowman Active Member

I live about as far from NDAC as Stoney, but have only been to Stoney once and, to be honest, don't have any great desire to return.

The car parking is ridiculous, meaning you need to kit up in the top car park and walk half a mile to the water - If I was exploring caves in Guatemala, that might be understandable, but it's not what I expect for the money at a 'dive centre'.

NDAC (or Vobster) every time in favour of Stoney, for me I'm afraid.

I guess if you live close(r) the convenience outweighs the hassle considerably.

M

15. splinter

splinter Active Member

That's exactly it for me. I much prefer NDAC, but that's 3 hours away. Capernwray is pretty good and at two and a quarter hours, not bad. Stoney is just over an hour, so I'll put up with the extra tenner to park. A quarry is a quarry at the end of the day. It's just practice for when I can get in the sea (trust me, I need it!), so I might as well choose a convenient one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

16. reefer

reefer Member

As long as there is coffee involved, then anything is bearable. :geek:

How does NDAC compare to Vobster? I thought Vobster was a really nice location - parking was no problem at the weekend, although I can imagine that carpark could get filled pretty fast if the weather was decent.

17. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've only been to vobster once, but NDAC there's a lot of space for parking. It was pretty busy when I was there with tribal chestnut a couple of weeks ago, but still some space left. The unique thing about NDAC is the water is quite a way from the car park, so they have a couple of battered mini buses to ferry you down. That's an experience in itself, but works ok. You need to lug your kit to the bus stop from the car park but it's not that far. It's got a decent cafe which you can go in in wet gear, unlike Stoney. The in water stuff is good. A variety of "attractions" and depths from 10m down to 75m.

Only problem is, they put it too far away!

reefer likes this.
  18. Dave Whitlow

At Vobster, if you pay annual membership, you can pre-book a space on the lower car park so only go when you have a confirmed space. At 80 miles, and about 2 hours, it is my nearest quarry. NDAC is another 40 miles and closer to hours 30 and I have to pay to cross a bridge!

In contrast, Portland Marina is 2 miles so it is quicker and cheaper to hop on a boat.

19. Dave Whitlow

I don't like NDAC because of the distance from car to water. At every other location you can kit up at the car and walk to the water. At NDAC you prep your kit at the car, switch stuff off again, haul it across the puddle-filled car park, pile it into the unsafe vehicles they drive, unload it onto the pallets and then haul it to near water, where again everything needs checking. In water NDAC is the best quarry but in every other respect endurance, rather than enjoyment, is the feeling.

20. splinter

splinter Active Member

Yeah, I get that. I've previously been with a single cylinder set up. Pretty easy. This time was the first time with twins and a stage. Bit of a pain but manageable. I can understand that with a rebreather it must be a right ballache.