1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting a diving club

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by SpikeK6, Jun 6, 2010.

1. SpikeK6

SpikeK6 Member

Does anyone run a club on here. Or part of a club that knows the rules pitfalls etc etc on running a club
    I am looking to maybe set up a club here in Guernsey. We have one club already but that is BSAC run, i went along to it for the first time the other week, meets in a pub and well they said i had to become a BSAC member to be in their club, now BSAC and PADI have different rules and to be honest i have just passed my open water and going through my advanced and do not see why i should become a BSAC diver just to dive with the club. It seemed a bit pompus if you ask me.

Soooo my thinking was setting up a club that does not train people to dive but just a club where people can meet up and organise dives in and around the Guernsey coast line, you can be trained any way you want whether it be PADI or BSAC, and generally just be somewhere where like minded people can meet up and chat about the thing they love doing.

Just wondering what pit falls there are associated to this, all advice welcome

Thanks

spike

2. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

you've highlighted one of the first lessons in running a club - divers can be very fussy on BSAC vs. PADI. The main difference is that BSAC IS ru nas a club and PADI is a training organisation. PADI does not run clubs but you find a lot of PADI training centers opt to run a club for people that they've trained. They do this usually to keep their students together but also accept others to join and share expereince (and generate add-on sales!)

I used to be heavily involved with a club. We were a PADI center but accepted anyone in the club. It cost a few quid every year and for that yo ugot 2 or 3 free kit hires, first 25 air fills free etc. Different levels of membership gave you different benefits but it was very much outside of the PADI system. Club members got advance notice of trips, holidays and so on.
    The biggest thing that made this club different is the the dive bisiness owner made the decisions. We would all discuss possible trips, preferences, changes etc. but, because he owned it - he had the call on what happenened. There were no votes on what should happen or when (like many BSAC clubs) and this ensured that there was no falling out. If people didn't like the owners decision then when it came round to membership fees being due, they could choose not to renew.

There's so much more that I could write but my tea is on the table - I may add more later.

3. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

Not pompous. BSAC clubs I know are a broad church and welcome divers from other agencies and are great as clubs, that do some training, but like many things, the mood of the club depends on the members. I could have stayed as I was with the equivalent dive qualification or converted, either way it made no difference to my membership, just to what I was allowed to do within BSAC for insurance purposes as much as anything. Nothing unusual in that. Join their club, play by their rules. Many join to be part of an organization with people who want to dive, anything else coming second. However, there are always those who are anal about these things, insisting there is their way or no way.

The type of club you're proposing isn't new and you can make your own rules up. There's a pro-active club called the Tamworth Toads that may be willing to offer advise if you're interested. They have no membership fees, just like-minded people that want to go diving and socialize a bit. Much of what you do depends on how formal and structured you want it to be. Main pitfalls I see is there are those that do, those that let others do and those that moan whatever you do.

4. Roy

Roy Active Member

Bit like here really :D

5. SpikeK6

SpikeK6 Member

yes but seeing as i am the only member from Guernsey and diving by yourself is a bit silly then here is good but not really good for me ha ha.

Thanks for the advice guys, going to speak to the guy that is training me and see what we can sort out, he has his own dive shop too that he has just set up so maybe conbine the two.

spike

6. Roy

Roy Active Member

I really enjoy diving on my own.

7. madmark1

madmark1 Member

:thumbup:try this site i know its an bsac but got all the info on how to form a dive club

www.bsac.com/landing.asp?section=989...Club+Support:thumbup:
    this is number for a saa dive club in Atlantis Sub Aqua Club (SAA 847) - Contact: John Robert, 01481 45137 guernsey