1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stage Regulators

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Griffalo, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I’m looking into buying a stage cylinder and regs. How many people actually use oxygen clean regs for their stages and if so do you use M26 or DIN fittings? (I’ve never seen M26).

2. nickb

nickb Active Member

I spent 18 weeks working on a dive boat this year and the only time I saw M26 regs was a group from Belgium and it was a pain in the arse for everyone.

Oxygen clean regs? Are you planning to use pure O2 in your new stage cylinder?

Even then I’d say ‘meh’

Just open the valve slowly.....

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

DIN DS4 + ATX40 with 1 metre LP hose plus SPG on short (6") HP hose.
    https://4thelement-diving.co.uk/col...products/apeks-atx40-regulator-with-octopus-1

Some swivel turret first stages are a PITA - my DST for example seems all wrong but Mk25s are better.

Never seen any 'green' regs in use ('O2' clean, M26, refreshingly expensive). As per @nickb, M26 would be a lot of grief for fills (although CE rebreathers use M26 for the O2 cylinder).

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I have never used M26 and all my first stages are DIN. There are no special O2 clean parts in the service kits, although cleanliness and choice of grease when servicing do needs to avoid adding fuel.

My first stages are all Apeks and I prefer DST, although DS4 works too. Position of HP port does means slight angling of first stages on AL80s .

5. AndyW

AndyW Member

DS4 + ATX 40 for me as always. Just by the same regs that you already use. That way you have a spare.

I'd have no concerns using it straight out of the box. I dug an old one out of the cupboard and used it with increasingly rich mixes. I have not died but I offer no guarantees.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Do you 'bend' the SPB back on itself - bungee/tie/tiewrap, folding the hose at 180 degrees?

Which side do you put the DST - with the turret pointing right or left?

(A photo would really help here!)

7. nickb

nickb Active Member

I don’t bend the SPG hose back on bailout bottles although I did when I carried deco stages.

I use Scubapro Mk25 or Mk2 regs for a number of reasons, mainly because they are piston regs and therefore far more tolerant of flooding than those with diaphragms. Stage regs are invariably turned off and can flood quite easily.

With the Mk25s (and DSTs when I used to use those) the turret is pointed towards the valve knob, whichever way that is.

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I do and it does mean the HP hose life is limited.
    Probably a better choice but as I have Apeks....

Mine are usually turned on but with a flow stop on the rich mix to reduce risk of lost gas.
    Yes, for cylinders on the left the turret in line with the knob places it on the outside, along with the hoses and second stages.

For my rich mix, on the right, I have the turret on the away from the knob to keep the hoses and second stage away from me.

9. nickb

nickb Active Member

How's that working out for you?

10. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a spare yellow XTX40 so I just need to acquire another DST (as that’s what I have on the twin set and multiple people as said to get the same as I already use).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. AndyW

AndyW Member

Brace yourself for the "Don't use a yellow regulator otherwise complete strangers will swim up to you whilst OOG and then everyone will die" comments.

12. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Interesting as all the 2nd stages used on my course were yellow as were the hoses. Made sense to me as you don't confuse them with your back gas.

13. AndyW

AndyW Member

The hoses on my stage regs are yellow as the standard octo hoses are the right length. The ATX40 is black as the standard version (rather than the octo) has the hose on the right.

I wouldn't say it matters. Although I have, in the past, had people (Usually club gurus) condemn my kit as someone might confuse it with an octo. It's nonsense as I'd either be diving with people that know my kit and donation methods very well, or be doing a shallow, no deco dive. In which case I wouldn't have the stage.

I wouldn't be relying on the colour to ID it though.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Mine are all black as that's what I bought.

The point is doing the no-tox drill properly.

Having said that, if the hoses were coloured then you can quickly see which gas your other team members are breathing, especially when there's bottom stages involved.

15. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I think M26 is a really bad idea. Keep everything DIN so that if you have a stage reg failure you can still use the stage by swapping a regulator. Of course that does mean that you need regs that are flood resistant.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

BTW, do the French use M26 on their stage regs?

17. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I have seen them in the LDS, and of course the owner says they are indispensable and you will die instantly if you don't use them.. But none of the divers I have dived with use them.

18. nickb

nickb Active Member

This is why I always use piston regs on bailout/deco bottles. Specifically Scubapro Mk2 & Mk25. The former are virtually bulletproof and can be serviced in about 10 minutes.

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are Apeks DS4s flood resistant?

20. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Not as much as piston regs. They 'should' be ok or at least they won't gum up straight away but if you flood with saltwater then you really should get them serviced. If flooded with fresh water than you'd probably be ok.