1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPG Hose Length

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by georgedavo, May 30, 2019.

1. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

Hi All,

I've just got a quick question regarding SPG hose length.

I've just had 5th ports added to my Apeks DST first stages and, I need to get a shorter SPG hose (current one is 30"). What is the "correct" length?

From what I've read so far I believe with DS4's its 24" and Scubapro MK25s its 22", I was just wondering where the DST sat between these two.

Please feel free to point out if I'm being far to anal as the difference between the two is pretty minimal.

Cheers!

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I’d go 24” for all first stages

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's the right length for your rig.

With a twinset in the DIR configuration, the hose will come from the left-hand first stage and will need to be long enough to for the gauge to clear the left-hand belt D-ring, where the hose has a bolt-snap which is tied to the SPG hose and attaches to that D-ring.

I found that I had a longer hose which was the right length for a single wing+BP, but was too long and dangled too much when using a twinset where the LH 1st stage was a couple or four inches closer to the LH belt D-ring.

Other configs are available.

4. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

Apologies, I should have mentioned in the original post that it's for my twin-12's, standard set up with top cylinder band at the break/shoulder of the cylinders.

As far as I understand it, for a given cylinder(s) the distance between the hip D-ring and the cylinder pillar valves should be basically the same for everyone, due to a common backplate size, so the only real difference should be the way in which the hoses are routed.

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

According to Tim Gort's excellent blog on setting up a twinset, the SPG hose should be 24"

timmyg likes this.
  6. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

Thanks Nick, it was just a comment I had read somewhere from John Kendall mentioning something along the lines of... 24" was for Apeks and 22" was for Scubapro mk25s due to the angle of the hose... By this I assume he was talking about DS4's as seen in Tim's blog the SPG hose takes a bit more of a diversion over the top of the wing.

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I think that was more likely for the length of hose for the backup reg and I suspect the other way round 22" for Mk25 and 24" for Apeks

8. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

Just found the thread again, refering to the halcyon hose sets HP hose length: https://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34760.html

John Kendall's 1st post:

" "Same here Brian, I've been asked for the shorter one but not by DIR/GUE divers. 24" it is."

Oi! 24" for Apeks Regs. 22" for Scubapro Mk20/25

J"

His second post:

" "We're talking about the SPG hose, not backup reg... Surely you mean 24" as the HP port is not any closer for either type of first stage (if anything the HP port on the DS4 is closer) ... maybe it would be 22" for short arses like little pete ??? Tho i'm just a lowly DIRFer... maybe i'm wrong"

On the Mk20/25 the HP hose is at a better angle to come over the wing and down the side of the backplate and so you can get away with a slightly shorter hose.

J"

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Take your pick then 22" or 24". As Brian says, most people go for 24" but you can (as John says) get away with 22"

10. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

I dropped John a quick email and he still says 24" for apeks so I think I'll stick with the norm, must be something to do with the angle of the port instead of the hose ie how far it angles forward towards the diver.

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated!

timmyg likes this.