1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South west diving

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Iain Denham, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Ok so all my diving has been south east coast and most areas as far as Swanage and up north to Farnes ect but am looking for a weekend away towards Devon/Cornwall any recommendations for dives/places ect?

I will be with a buddy max depths about 45m happy to do shore/boat shallow ect prefer squidge to spidge though.

2. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Squidge is good around Lundy (north Devon from Ilfracombe) especially if you like seals. You won't get near 45m though. Loads of diving in South Devon around Plymouth (lots of spidge but it attracts Squidge) and into Cornwall. Not been myself but everyone who dives the Scillies say they're brilliant. It's a bit of a mission though...

3. Iain Denham

I don't necessarily want to go to 45m and just as happy bimblinfg at 10m if the dive ha plenty to see, didnt fancy the seals as I have done severall trips to the Farnes in recent years.

Ok so Plymouth and South Devon is the area then? What dives to do/

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Plymouth
    James Egan Layne is a must do with possibly the Scylla for a more modern but a little sterile wreck.

5. Iain Denham

Cheers JB checked out the JEL sounds like a must do, I wasnt sure about the Scylla as it looked as you say a bit sterile to me as well?

Any one stayed down that way any recommendations on that regard, didnt fancy the Mountbatten Centre

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I like staying at the Kynance hotel on the Ho. Not the smartest, but a nice bunch of people and good value for money. Easy walking distance to all the sights; Sutton Harbour, the 1960's town centre...

One of my favourite wrecks is the Maine. I do like diving out of Plymouth though. Bung a date up here if you're arranging something.

7. Iain Denham

i was looking for something on the 23rd sept long weekend, was going with usual buddy and taking the missus

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's loads of dive boats that go out of 'muff. Most go from Mountbatten which is the other side of the harbour, about 5 miles drive from the centre.

I like Aquanauts which go out of Sutton Harbour from their shop on the marina quay. This is a lot closer to the centre of town... actually it is the centre of town. You can offload your car at Aquanauts and then park in the Staples underground carpark - was about £6 in coins IIRC. There's lots of cafes and places to see / bijoux shops in Sutton Harbour, so Mrs D can wait with a Lattemokkachino and look at the yachts/world going by.

Mountbatten's nice enough, but a bit out of the way. There's a couple of cafe's there. She'd need to drive though unless she has a book!

The Kynance Hotel is cheap and OK. Not luxury, but clean and good VFM. Super location on the Ho and close to the town centre shopping centre.

I think there's one other dive boat which goes out of Sutton Harbour. There's about 5 out of Mountbatten including Indeep and Southwest Diving

Wrecks; there's loads to choose from. The JEL is a must-dive wreck. Loads of others in and around. If the wind's blowing then it's possible to dive the breakwater. A bit dull and muddy, there's stuff skuttling around on the bottom; OK if the alternative is nothing.

9. JasonP

JasonP New Member

There's the water taxi from Mountbatten which takes you into the centre. Doesn't take very long.

There are spaces on Top Gun that weekend:
    http://www.southwestdiving.co.uk/index.php/individual-bookings

Though you do run the risk of being on a boat with me

Iain Denham likes this.
  10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Iain Denham likes this.