1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So......Whats going down this weekend? ;)

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by becky9, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I quizzed the skipper if it was "must return" or "could return"; he said it was fine to bag off from the wreck but as it's close to the shipping lane he'd prefer it but not demand it.

2. JasonP

JasonP Member

Agreed, in the crappy viz it means that people have to lay lines. And wreck divers don't know how to lay lines. Lines crossing other lines, big tangle of line at the bottom of the anchor rope to get caught in.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I apologise if I read too much into your post and replied in an over the top fashion.

Wibble and JohnL like this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

NP

I too was gushing a bit too much. Just excited about getting a sea dive instead of a mucky puddle (which is good prep for bad vis!)

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Line laying is an invaluable (& fun!) skill which is covered in the Sports Diver syllabus, but unfortunately it is then rarely, if ever, practiced thereafter.

6. JasonP

JasonP Member

Yes, but it's not covered to the level of getting yourself out by following the line with your torch off and your eyes shut whilst sharing gas with your buddy, is it?

7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Correct, but in the context of BSAC & use as a distance line in shite vis none of that's ever going to be taught.

Even in isolation, it's a skill that to learn has merit

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Looking forwards to re-visiting Holme Bank chert mine with a couple of others from this forum, but this time in my sidemount kit; allegedly the right tool for the job! Slight faffing to add a couple of backup torches to the harness, but essentially the kit's now pretty much configured and has worked well for the last couple of outings. Amazing the difference steel tins make! And big boltsnaps for winter gloves.

Really pleased to have spent time faffing with the sidemount kit. Amazing how many tiny tweaks are necessary to get the kit configured. I guess that's called learning.

Last weekend's burst SPG O-ring was good learning too; feathering the RH valve cylinder for drysuit inflation's so damn easy with valves right in front of you. Gas was pissing out of the SPG hose, but saved almost all the gas. (Yes, it's supposed to take 30 mins to empty a tin if the HP hose is compromised, so isn't that remarkable)

jps likes this.