1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So......Whats going down this weekend? ;)

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by becky9, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

If anyone's interested, I'll be heading up to Wraysbury this Saturday 11th November if anyone wants a dip in a lake.

I've obviously got loads more practice and faffing to do with my sidemount kit judging by this weekend's performance. I spent yesterday (Sunday) re-watching Steve Martin's course videos and tweaking my kit.

Am amazed how buoyant I was in my winter plumage and using Ali80 cylinders: 9kg of ballast and still too buoyant to hold the 2 metre stop!

Seem to be getting plenty of use out of my (Billy NoMates) solo diver ticket!

2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Did @jps not jump in on Sat?

I need to dive again now my chest infection has almost gone, but am going underground again on Saturday.

Aiming to bother the crayfish on Sunday though as the Munchkin and I give her newly repaired drysuit another go.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@jps had a good day in Wraysbury. Was me who didn't and am not letting this sidemount challenge get the upper hand.

Might do Sunday, depends how this week pans out. Also Saturday is our village's 5th of November (won't make the comment about them not being able to read a calendar... we're close to Lewes and Sussex village folk have a thing about "no Popery" since Bloody Mary martyred 18 of them)

4. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

@Wibble are you diving Ali80s SM because that's what you've got or because you believe that this is best?

I know very few people who dive with 80s as their 'back gas' in the UK for exactly the reasons you cite regarding carrying so much lead. What you need is 300bar 7s ;)

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Basically it's because it's what I've got. My two twinsets -- one round, one flat -- are full of other gas, the round ones with some helium. I'll split them as soon as I can use the gas. In the meantime I can bugger around with the ali80s.

6. jps

jps Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Yep I was there. Had a couple of good dives..... done loads of skills practice.

Glad your getting better. I can do Wraysbury on 26th Nov and/or 3rd Dec if your up for that.

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

@Wibble are you still at wraysbury tomoz. I was due at Stoney but my buddies are bailing at an alarming rate.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I am. Will be there around 0900. Still intending to bugger around with SM. And sidemount if the bungees don't get tangled...

9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Think I've scuppered myself. O2 cylinder at 30bar wraysbury can fill but may take sometime, like min an hour. So I don't want to hold you up.

Wasn't planning to go ccr at Stoney initially so hadn't worried too much about gas as i could get it easily there.

Bugger

10. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

:eek: An hour to fill a 3l of O2? Are they pumping it by hand?

11. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Must be , don't fink they like ccr much :dummy:

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Don't like anything other than air.

jps likes this.
  13. nickb

nickb Active Member

Janine in Old Harbour Dive (about 12 years ago) once pumped a 3l for me in about 30 seconds. I could barely carry it!

This w/e is my last in Scapa - until next season.

14. Dave Whitlow

and seem to have the curious believe that cylinders with less that 30 bar are going to blow up and so won't fill them. That used to give me problems as the booster pump generally leaves about 5 bar.

15. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

If they only want to pump air that's fine but they advertise nitrox trimix and O2 :jimlad:

16. Dave Whitlow

they have done mix and o2 for me and have a Haskel so a decent pressure is available. Perhaps their o2 is low and they are relying on the Haskel to get your fill?

17. Dave Whitlow

You planning to just dive the same wrecks forever more then?

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

With the depth in Wraysbury you could have fun diving on dil as an SCR. Maybe!

No probs. I'll just dive Billy no mates as usual :bag:

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I did consider it but ccr shallow no O2 ain't a great place to start. I could've plugged a 70% off board in but again all feels a bit OTT.

Have a good day , enjoy yourself. Another day for sure.

20. nickb

nickb Active Member

I see new stuff on every dive