1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what is DIR Diving anyway

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by Gareth Burrows, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. which means you need to learn them from an instructor, or just by going diving with DIR divers, the same way you learnt everything else you do as a diver. DIR is no different, sorry.

I know you are digging, but the only hole you are digging is for yourself. There is no big conspiracy - it's really just one way of going diving, people can take it or leave it. If you don't want to be a rebreather diver, you don't have to buy a rebreather. DIR diving is not mandatory.

2. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

Interesting. No hole digging it's a fair question.
    This is a DIR forum not a GUE forum and ive had 6 pm's from members who were getting a little confussed as to be classed as DIR did you require GUE training ( or one of it's off shoots ).

Who except GUE ( and it's off shoots ) teach ratio deco?

Thanks

BK

3. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

I would have thought a PM to Gareth would provide a more precise answer. I wonder why SIX people chose to PM you to ask a DIR question, how strange.

4. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

GUE, UTD. also some TDI instructors, some IANTD instructors and some NAUI instructors. Obviously the NAUI ones are a bit hard to come by in the UK, but I know several TDI and IANTD instructors that include it on their decompression procedures course. I also know a PADI instructors that teaches their OW and AOW students to look at the PADI RDP and see if they can spot patterns in it (there are, BTW).

Gareth

5. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Interesting, is that because they are also GUE divers?

Just wondering if it's part of the syllabus for TDI/IANTD? And if not if it's actually an allowable addition.

Paging Bottlefish :)

6. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

some are, but not the ones I know. Theres nothing in the TDI or IANTD standards to stop instructors from adding value by suggesting alternative ways of working out deco.

7. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

I would genuinly be interested to hear more about ratio deco rather than just the internet hearsay

Is it correct it only works with certain (standard?) gas mixes?

8. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

gimme ten mins....

9. Badknees

now which MOD would you pm if you wanted to moan about DIR and GUE!

Again why pm for an answer to a question that the forum may find of intrest.
    Then only I would know the answer. Not to helpfull on a forum.
    :rolleyes:

BK

10. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Ah, so you had bitching PM's from your homies! Gotchya ;)

Nope, read that 3 times now and havn't a clue what you're on about. :rolleyes:

11. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Just what exactly are you implying about the UKD mod team? :scared:

12. GLOC

GLOC Member

Another agency is Inner Space Explorers who are based on the continent, and again they have their roots in GUE.

Regards

13. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Hahaha, I wasn't sure whether to have a slip of the keys there myself. BK defo isn't, he gave me a leaf to place in my mask during our dive in Weds night. :scared:

14. Badknees

and you threw it away you heartless bitch xx

BK

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Love the light bulb idea - worth thinking about even when only half-way through my PADI Open Water. I had thought of driving, where gear, clutch, steering and signals made it difficult to see what was happening on the road at first. Similarly, when you pass your test, you are only starting your journey to become a good driver. Diving seems much the same and the light bulbs simile is a useful tool to tick off the skills that become second nature.