1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I bought this pile of plumbing parts...

Discussion in 'Rebreathers Closed and Semi Closed Circuit' started by Doomanic, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

less lead and CCR are the way to go. I jumped in the sea today today with 3kg lead. it was just enough as getting down initially was a pain but after that it was good. if you have too much you either end up with a suit migration issue or you put DILUENT in your wing.

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

As I love the sound of my own voice, it's time for an update...
    It was a bit chilly this morning so I wore the Halo today. Loverly. :D I added 3kg to counteract the additional buoyancy of the thicker undersuit and jumped in. In preparation for may BH weekend jaunt to Salcombe I also used 2 bailout tins; an 80 and a 7. No real drama, apart from not being able to reach my left pocket, so a bit of fettling of the d rings is required. The dive itself was unremarkable, other than discovering that there are now two Defiants in Stoney Cove... :oops:
    3 extra kilos was too much as I could still hold a stop at 0.5m, so more buggering about with lead is required.

I had a play with my new (to me) CO2 blob too. Dead easy. Wish I'd bought it years ago. Seems to be buoyant enough for long deco hangs too, which is nice.

In other news, now I've got a BOV I've cobbled together a gag strap. The idea here is to prevent me dropping the mouthpiece if I lose consiousness. It also helps support the weight of the BOV, meaning I can relax my jaw a bit during the dive.
    Dreager do fancy moulding for €90 and AP do one for about 20 quid which looks like a mask strap and some o-rings. I bought a 6 quid neoprene mask strap and used some o-rings out of my spares box. Sorted. :D

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What gas will you be using in the two bailout tins?

Will they both be hung left, DIR style, or balanced one either side, lean left, rich right?
    (Thinking that you don't have a long hose so there's no need to keep the RHS clear)

4. Doomanic

Staff Member

21/35 (Dil) on BOV, 50% in the 80 and 100% in the 7. Both tins left, in a DIR stylee.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

So its get the heck out of dodge as soon as you bail out to dil - that's only 3 litres and may well be low - so ASAP to 21 metres.

Why DIR style and not both sides?

6. Doomanic

Staff Member

Yes. I'll be moving to 5's for this type of dive once I've got rid of the yellow box.

It's what I'm used to.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Good answer:)

Do a lot of box divers use the DIR style? I guess you're quite typical of a cross-over diver, experienced in OC trimix and moving on to the benefits of a box.

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Every CCR diver seems to be different and there is no prevailing preference.

When OC I used to dive all left as there was a long hose to contend with and that was how I dived. When I moved to the box I stayed like that for a while. Some time later, I was thinking through situations and adopted lean left, rich right to keep things simple.

Each stage has a LP hose I can connect into the MAV so SCR is an available option. Keeping them separate reduces the risk of wrong gas and means I can switch without having nothing connected.

9. Doomanic

Staff Member

I'm diving the same way as the rest of my team. Makes sense to me.

10. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Roll on Wednesday!

Doomanic likes this.
  11. Doomanic

Staff Member

Aaaaand it's gone. Possibly. Probably.

Today has mostly been spent messing about with the Kent Tooling Travel Frame that I got frm @furryman.

It's actually frame for a Vision and is subtly different to the frame for the Classic so it's not as simple as just chucking the scrubber in and fitting the wing. A dry run revealed that the can wouldn't stay in the right place on just the Velcro strap and that it rubbed on a bolt. Not ideal. I could buy the bits to convert the frame to a Classic frame, but where's the fun in that? :D

What I needed was some sort of bracket like the one moulded into the AP box. Hmmm. Like the one moulded into the AP box? I see a plan forming...

Out came the Dremel (I wish, it's a cheap arsed, underpowered copy) and a hacksaw blade... :jawdrop:

It went from this:
    [​IMG]
    To this;
    [​IMG]

Bolted all together it now looks like this;
    [​IMG]

It looks low, but everything is in the same place as the AP box relative to the BP bolts.

I'll be at Stoney next weekend, probably regretting the whole affair, but what's life without a little excitement? :woot:

#71 Doomanic, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    furryman and Zubar like this.
  12. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Looks good.

I upgraded to a Dremel over Xmas, deffo superior. I still have my cheaper copy, which you are welcome to, looks like it will be better than the one you have in the pic. I'll save it for you if interested.

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

Thanks. Let's hope it works as it was a one way deal... :eek:
    Thanks, again. I'll take you up on that at some point.

14. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Wish I could be there... I have this image of you turning turtle with all that iron on your back.

Mind you I also have a vision of you in two weeks time diving a reconstructed plastic box held together with duct tape.

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

One thing's for sure, it'll restrict my wreck ferretting as it's taller than the yellow box. :(

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is there anything left of the original box - apart from the serial numbers?

So I was diving today on Dive125. Ten divers on the boat. Two with twinsets (me and @johnsimpson), two on singles, and six on boxes: 2 Inspos, 2 JJs, 2 reVos. A trend methinks.

17. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

And Dave and Sils twindies with an O2 pony?

Wibble likes this.
  18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Now they were funny. Both with the well worn and sun-bleached Buddy jackets. Definitely the sign of divers who dive and don't sit at a computer talking/arguing about diving.

I really liked Dave's comment: "I bought the boat to go diving; paying divers help pay for this". A wonderful couple! Looking forwards to diving with them again.

jps and Zubar like this.
  19. nickb

nickb Active Member

Dom, is there a blog where you keep a running cost for this Frankenunit of yours? Surely a JJ or Vision would have been cheaper by now?

20. Doomanic

Staff Member

Not even close. Total spend on the box is still under £1400 and over £600 of that was on stuff I would have needed to add to a cheap Vision as well (BOV, BMCL & KT frame). It'll hit £2k if I ever get around to buying the AV1 controller.

Find me a JJ for that money and I'll have your hand off.