1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snoopy Loop

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by J.Deathe, Nov 19, 2011.

1. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Can someone please explain (in detail) to a self confessed inept DIY individual how to tie a 'snoopy loop'.

2. Gnomey

Gnomey Well-Known Member

A snoopy loop is normally an inch long peice of bicycle innertube.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, it's a 'slice' of inner tube from a bike. No tying involved.

What is it you are after?

4. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

OK thanks I think I can handle that, which is more than I can say for my efforts at tying bolt snaps! Looking for a means to stop my torch 'dangling' down off of a d-ring and also a means of keeping the inflator hose closer to my body.

5. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Some tied bungee is what I use for inflator hose. Snoopy loop threaded onto OPH (plus spares) to restrain my back up torches.

6. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Suggsy, thanks for that.

7. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Gentlemen I have an off thread question and marginally random. I'm doing my Tech 40 course with my LDS in the New Year, a lot of my diving I do travelling, therefore my question is; when travelling is it common place to take your own manifolds, twin bands etc or are those rented/provided with tanks when abroad? (I assume you wouldn't take your own twin tanks?!)

8. Pete

Pete Banned

You hire the whole lot already set up ( think about O2 clean )
    Pete

9. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Thanks Pete, I thought that might be the case! Where's a decent place to get reviews on wings, looking to dispose of my current set-up used the previous few years (Custom Divers Sportster) and move over to a single tank wing then double tank wing after doing the Tech 40 as mentioned, wanted to get an idea so I can ask Santa to bring me one!

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Good, if mixed advice here.

You will need a steel/ali back plate, one piece harness.
    For single, a single tank adapter and 2 cam bands. Wings to consider Apeks wtx3, IST 30 lb wing or Frog Indigo.

To move to twins ditch the single adapter, the twins mount directly with the band bolts. And change wing to something like Apeks wtx4, Frog Midnight, IST 40lb, Halcyon .........there many.
    You will also need another first stage and a 7ft hose + a few other bits.

GoDive have most of the above at good prices, I have Apeks harness and steel plate but GD do their own which look fine. Other suppliers are available, or ask your local LDS but be confident with what you are after.

C

11. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Hey Zubar thanks for the reply.

I've already got a OPH (changed over the harness on the CD Sportster a while ago), in terms of backplate looking at the Dive Rite S/S as it doesn't require single tank adapter.

Single wing wise, I had looked at the Hollis S-Series and Halcyon Eclipse (although very pricey!). Twin wings I've seen a lot of coverage on the Halcyon Evolve (again costly compared to others). Will look in to Frog and IST.

First stage/reg wise looking at selling my existing that I've had the last few years (Oceanic EOS & FDX-10) and replacing with the Apeks XT50 and DS4.

12. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I have a Sportster too, like it but too cluttered.

Can't comment on the dive right plate but know it's dear. My Apeks one was £88 ish. Or call Kent Tooling, they are supposed to be the bollocks and same cost.

I have a Frog Midnight and ds4s. Frog is very like Halcyon but a little cheaper, I have heard good things about IST but Mott tried myself.

C

13. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Completely agree, hence why I stripped the harness off of mine and replaced it with a OPH.

OK will look at the Apeks plate, think the place I bought my harness webbing from (kitfondle) makes backplates to so will have a look at there's. Do you know if you can detached the wing from the plate on the Sportster and reattach to a S/S plate out of interest?

I don't think the IST/Frog single tank wings have cam belt slots so would require a single tank adapter, unlike the Hollis S-Series and Apeks WTX3 - although correct me if I'm wrong.

How do you find the DS4's would you recommend them?

14. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Ds4s are great.

Don't compromise on wing/bp based on a £25 adapter. Will hamper you later and a sta is better than none.

C

15. Pete

Pete Banned

I have a DIR zone single wing and that has cam band slots
    Pete

16. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

My thinking was that if you can take the Sportster wing off the plate and attached it to a S/S one then that would be sufficient initially as a single tank wing and then would obviously just need to buy a twin tank wing.

17. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I don't think Woz (kitfondle) does backplates anymore but Dyna-rob does a good aluminium plate.
    I use an Apeks OPH and Dyna-rob plate with a WTX3 for singles and a WTX4 for twins.
    If your budget allows I would suggest getting a donut wing over a horseshoe.

18. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Thanks Doomanic, yes was leaning towards a donut wing over horseshoe, although there appears to be limited choice.

19. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I have not used a single on a metal bp so don't really know.

Re the Sportster wing I think the holes are the wrong centre. But I suppose new holes could be made. 11 inches is the norm.

C

20. J.Deathe

J.Deathe Member

Yes thinking about you might be right on the holes not being 11 inches. How do you find the Frog Midnight, thinking that could be the option I go for.