1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single tank wing & BP for a child...

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Demmy, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Demmy

Demmy Member

My lad is currently doing his JOW course and will qualify in mid Feb.

I’m looking for BCD’s for him but I’d prefer to put him into a wing and OPH from the start if I can, I dive twin 12 euros and a DIR rig so I’d like him to have a similar setup for ease of buddy diving, etc.

He’s around 1.5m tall, any ideas for a compact wing/BP combo, or should I just go with a BCD and convert him over later?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just stick with a normal BP & Wing? Does he need the mini version? Have you put your BP on him to see how it’ll fit height wise?

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

3. Demmy

Demmy Member

I’ve compared it to him and it just looks oversized. I think we may need to try it in a pool and see how he gets on...

I just wondered what others have tried in the past.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

He's probably going to grow at speed, so better to get correct sized kit second-hand if possible or dive with a club/dive centre where he can be buddied initially with some one of a similar age. The Basildon film studio had a keen junior group at the Orca centre if you are anywhere near.

Demmy likes this.
  5. Demmy

Demmy Member

Sadly we’re nowhere near as we are midlands based!

I’ve been looking at second hand kit, I think the BP plan might have to wait until he is a little bigger.

6. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've just got my daughter to try on my single wing. She's 1.48m tall and a small build. Obviously the harness is way too big, but she'd be fine diving in that rig I reckon. The backplate is a pretty good size, maybe a bit long, but she'd be able to sit down in it ok, although might need to be a bit careful of the wing getting trapped under the tank.

There are pictures of it on the other recent bp&w thread.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Demmy likes this.
  7. Demmy

Demmy Member

Awesome, I’ve got his dry suit out ready to try on with my wing after tea

splinter likes this.
  8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

My daughter has a small BCD, however I've just purchased an aluminium backplate, OPH and wing for when she is too big for the BCD.

I'd happily let her use it now, but she's familiar with the BCD and it fits so she can use it for a bit longer.

9. Demmy

Demmy Member

I got him to try on his dry suit and tried my BP on him; my harness was too large obvs but the plate wasn’t too bad; I think I’m going to shop around for a small single cylinder wing and a cheap Ali BP and I’ve got all the components for a harness in my skates box, so to be honest I think we’re sorted

splinter likes this.