1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single cylinder wings??

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Tribal Chestnut, Dec 10, 2017.

1. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah, in that case I think you are SOL. I think the warranty is only for the original purchaser.

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Judging by posts in the other place, the warranty is only for GUE instructors...

Zubar likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wonder what the price for a replacement outer would be... Twice the price of a complete unit from the opposition?

Was looking at wetnotes the other day. I'm sure I paid less than £20 for mine about three years ago. The current Halcyon ones are £50. Staggeringly overpriced for something made in the same factory as all the others. I'd like some without a poxy logo -- I'd expect these to be double the price of all the others put together given how scarce they are. Where's our Chinese friends when you need them?

4. AndyW

AndyW Member

Certainly works as a marketing strategy... Hence why you get posts like these considering a wing 3x more expensive than others for a bit of holiday kit. I saw a facebook post yesterday where people were piling in to recommend the Focus 2 as a "My First Canister Light".

But I'm just jealous as I can only afford their wetnotes. Back to the topic in hand... Don't be put off by Red Hat's ebaying or website making techniques. Solid kit.

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Yeah, it's Red Hat or IST at the moment.

6. AndyW

AndyW Member

Much of a muchness.

Go with whichever is cheapest. As a tip, the Red Hat can be had for £152 (inc delivery) if you go through his 1990s -esque website rather than ebay

Tribal Chestnut and Nick Ward like this.
  7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

For wetnotes, yes Halcyon are almost £50 but everyone else is not far behind, Apeks are £40, Hollis are £39, Scubapro £32, OMS £27, DIRzone £25 and IST £20. They each have different features (thicker/thinner pages, clear pockets etc.). You pay your money and you take your choice.

I think I went DIRzone and happy enough with it but the Halcyon one I’ve seen to compare with was certainly nicer, maybe that was just because it was new and undived though.

8. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I have the IST JT30 and it’s a beautiful wing, I had it paired with the ist ali plate and harness as a light weight travel set. With a heavy stainless tank adapter it weighed 2.3kg all in. I had an instructor in Corsica begging me to sell it to him.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just ordered the Red Hat one, an aluminium backplate and an STA.

10. splinter

splinter Active Member

Let us know what you think of them when they arrive. I've had a couple of bits and pieces from Red Hat, but not seen any of their wings/bcds.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

11. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

12. JimmE

JimmE New Member

The only niggle I had with the red hat single wing was the inflator, initially. It seemed very ‘sensitive’... i.e. only needed a tiny amount of pressure to activate then seemed to be filling at full pelt. Took longer to ‘get used to’ than normal but by the end of a week’s diving I didn’t notice it any more, and when I use it now I’m normally ‘used’ to it again by the end of a dive.

One day I’ll swap it out for the standard generic inflator you see on most other wings, but it’s not annoying enough anymore to spend the money whilst it still works just fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A happy bunny now...

Contacted Halcyon about the Eclipse outer who put me on to their UK importers (Santi in Poland!) who were very helpful. I now have a shiny new outer bag for a reasonable price. Everyone's a winner!

Thankyou Halcyon & Santi.

14. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Bit late to this one, but just seen it. Outer is fabric and bloody easy to repair.

I do this all the time to AP stuff using a heavy duty singer and special thread.
    Thinner webbing works very well as patch material.

Get it done and you'd have a spare :)

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was going to throw it out -- do you want it? It's pretty threadbare, but you're more than welcome to have it!

16. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah, thanks for the offer but you seriously would not believe how much dive kit I have
    and besides would need to source a bladder.

Thanks again :)