1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single cylinder wings??

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Tribal Chestnut, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Any recommendations please?

I'm struggling to see why I'd pay the extra £230 for a Halcyon over an IST if I'm only going to use it on the odd holiday with my daughter - possibly twenty dives a year max.

Same for STAs - IST plate for £32 and 2 x OMS bands @ £20 ea. as opposed to a Halcyon jobbie at £153 or Agir Brokk for £130.

Above are just the DIRDirect list prices so not necessarily the cheapest, but good enough for comparative purposes.

2. AndyW

AndyW Member

I'm a big fan of the Red Hat single tank wing. About £150 quid. Used to use it all the time in the UK. Now only abroad. Like you say, if it's for a handful of dives a year, who cares.

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I use an Apex WTX3. It's only single skin, but I've never found it to be an issue.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  4. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've got a Frog indigo, which is a great bit of kit. Unfortunately they're hard to get hold of now, but I think the IST is pretty much identical.

The halcyon STA is good for UK as you can get the weight for it. Expensive though. I've got a Kent tooling one, which I made a weight for, to use here. For holiday, I've got an ali plate and a pair of STAs which I got from Dynarob iirc, on TDF. Cheap as chips, but great quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Doomanic

Staff Member

I made my own p-weight for my Dynorob Ali BP. It didn't go exactly as planned the first time...

splinter likes this.
  6. splinter

splinter Active Member

Come on, you've got to expand on that story!

I'll confess to my muppetry of using an aluminium pan to melt my first batch of lead. Luckily I was wearing my protective carpet slippers when about 2 kg of molten lead and the bottom of the pan landed on the garage floor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Doomanic

Staff Member

Not a million miles away from my sorry attempt.

I used a milk pan (cheapest to replace) and a camping stove. All was going well until it was time to pour the 5kg of molten lead and the handle broke off the pan...

splinter and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  8. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Thanks for the info chaps.

And your kitchen tales made me chuckle!

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a slight molten lead explosion when I put a badly cast block which might have been slightly wet back into the pan to re-melt. Yes, spattering of molten lead up my arms, chest and face. It could have gone a lot lot worse.

splinter likes this.
  10. JasonP

JasonP Member

I've got an apeks D30 which mostly just gets used abroad. It's construction is robust to say the least.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

11. JimmE

JimmE New Member

I’ve got this one too and also pleased - used both in the UK and abroad.

I’d have tried an equivalent 40-45lb twinset wing from them if they did a donut style one, but they only have ‘horseshoe’ style in the larger sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Red hat single here too , no issues.

13. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just been looking on eBay at Red Hat ads and found this little gem in one of them:

'If a seasoned journalist and tester bought one what are you waiting for. You have read this far now go back and press the buy it now button'

Wanker! I bet all his cars are 'first to see will buy' etc etc.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not overly chuffed with my Halcyon Eclipse...
    IMG_2848.JPG
    Top of wing

IMG_2847.JPG
    Bottom of wing

9 years old and the outer's shredded itself; it's like the outer cover has shrunk.

15. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Contact Halcyon and see what they say. There was a bad bunch of wings in 2005/2006 where the stitching went bad and did this same thing.

Having said that......9 years aint bad.

I still don't know if I prefer my Halcyon Evolve over my Agir Brokk Niord. I can never find the dump as easily on the Halcyon as I could on the Agir and I think the Agir was made out of heavier weight material.

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I've got a niord as well. Very rarely use it now a days , advertised it a couple of times but it hasn't sold. TBH I'm quite glad and think I'll just hang onto it on the odd occasion I borrow the wife's twin 7's. Lovely wing just a shame the "brands" are so expensive. That said our red hat single was bought second hand and works a treat , dives really nice, so much so my 13 year old prefers to a BC. I've just picked him a second hand red hat harness to go with it. I tried him in a one piece , he got on ok with it but a single cylinder seems to move about a lot. The harness is sized correctly but I think where he's young he hasn't got the shoulders to fill it out , the red hat harness will adjust down nice and snug.

I'm sure none of that's of any interest but I'm drinking coffee looking at the snow in the garden , feeling battered and bruised from a cycle crash and possible shingles so tough you can read my ramblings:nurse:

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Who do you think I should contact - a UK importer or go direct?

TBH I'd pay for a replacement outer, but I wouldn't pay the sort of money H would want to charge! Especially when the rest of the market charges circa £250 for the whole unit and they're trying to charge double that.

I bought it second hand a couple of years ago and it shredded itself this summer.

Aside from these problems, it's a nice wing.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It does interest.

Sorry to hear that. Was it a good crash - flying through the air type where you can blame someone, or just one of those painful crashes; one minute riding along, next minute on the deck bleeding?

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

It was an embrassing mechanical faiulure on the road resulting in a short flight over the bars. My helmet is in about 6 pieces, my head is in tact , as much as it was before anyway. It made me smile , as a life long rider it reminds me how tough cycling is. At the grand age of 47 it seems to take weeks not days to repair. Reluctantly got a docs appointment this afternoon.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wheel fell off? :wacky:

Good to know that the helmet took the brunt. Must get a helmet; need one with a visor and that covers the ears for the colder weather. Hate the getting older stuff. It's even worse when you're older; knees and ankles are taking a pounding now.

Vanny likes this.