1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simply Scuba attacked again

Discussion in 'Stolen, Lost and Found' started by Timmo1, Dec 17, 2010.

1. shortcuts

shortcuts Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying but so far as discretion is concerned, not as much as you appear to believe. I know from experience.
    Morale is not high in the police and that is mostly down to the sort of things you are alluding to. That and a total lack of backing from the powers that be.
    Anyway this is detracting from the OP.

2. jgw

jgw Another diving nutter

I know a lot of police thro work and they are just as annoyed with things as we are, the crimes that bug us and the police don't seem to care are the ones that bug them too. How many times can you catch the same person only to have an old fart in a wig tell him off, give him a slap on the wrist and put him straight back on the streets to start nicking stuff again? The police can't see the point of wasting tax payers money on this, they would rather watch them and get them for something that might get them sent to prison. This country has gone too political correct and soft on criminals and the only people to suffer are the law abiding tax paying citizens.
    Just my 2p worth.

3. big si

big si Well-Known Member

yes your quite right, it is the law abiding tax paying citizens that suffer, because they pay insurance the pigs are not interested when they get robbed, or when the law abiding tax paying citizen is traveling to work he gets a speeding ticket.
    the police have powers to choose which crime to persue and the go after the easy option.
    most if not all who join the police are just career people whos only goal is to climb the career ladder, they are not joining to combat crime they only see it as a road to personal gain.
    i also know alot of police as they come and train at my gym and i live in a small cul de sac with 4 police families and they are more bent than half the criminals who run the streets.

4. shortcuts

shortcuts Well-Known Member

Yes and I imagine you you are a really nice person big si !!

5. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

Another point re police 'not caring' is that when it comes to card crime, although the delivery address may well be in the UK, more often than not the actual crime isn't committed over here and puts it out of the UK police's authority.

6. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

They had the discretion to chase the little git that trashed my flat but chose not to. They had the discretion to advise the lady driver I told them about to ensure her kids wore seat belts to avoid serious injury or death but chose not to. They had the discretion to reprimand one of their own that my mate made a complaint about but chose not to and persecuted my mate instead. I was with him when the incident occured. In 48 years, I have been a law abiding citizen. My only contact with the law of the land has left a negative impression. Not all are bad, I have Police friends but as an organization they ain't lilly white. Not quite the OP but related to the type of indifference that it may be greeted with by the Police.

7. big si

big si Well-Known Member

so, here we have a thread were 90% of the dive population agree that the police ARE scumbags

weve sorted this one out swiftly, so there must be an element of thruth lurking in it somewhere.

8. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

I think its time that this thread is locked the OP & SS have clarified the problem lets hope the members here can offer some help should anything be offered to them

9. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Maybe i'm looking at this just a little too simplistically..... but would it not help drastically if all card purchases could ONLY be shipped to the registered address? Or maybe when applying for a card, you could register 1 alternate address (work, friend, family etc) for deliveries only. And then when an online purchase is made, it can ONLY be delivered to one of the pre-registered addresses?

At least this way, a large number of these fraudsters would not be able to operate?

Just a thought... simple, low cost, reasonably large impact..... unless of course i'm missing something here?

10. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

The banks do already advise retailers to do this.
    But in practice couriers deliver during the day when most of us are out at work, and when a customer chooses to take advantage of the convenience of ordering from home they certainly don't want the hastle of going to a sorting offfice/depot (in an inconvenient location and with very limited opening times) to collect their goods :furious:

Not a bad idea :thumbup:
    I do know one retailer who insists that your first order is delivered to your registered card address but is then happy for you as a "known customer" to opt to have subsequent deliveries sent to an alternative address - might be worth considering if this is a regular problem for Simply Scuba.

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Simple? it's far from simple.

This is pretty common i think.

12. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

But rather than make this a "voluntary" system, as the cost inevitably comes back to the banks, why don't the banks that issue these cards, make it a compulsory system?

Registered address plus one alternate.... this would give us all an opportunity to register our standard home address, plus another convenient address.

If compulsory, we'd all do the above, which in turn would prevent any hassles for anybody and a huge fraud cost to the banks, which inevitably gets passed back to us, the consumer.

Delivery during the day... no problem, my alternate address is work/neighbour/family etc... select appropriate for your own personal circumstances.

I don't understand a system where the bank is liable for the costs, but the retailers choose the method? The retailer may be inconvenienced, but will recover their costs from the bank providing they've followed the rules. If following the rules isn't preventing the problem... change the rules.

And realistically, adding a second address means very little change. Except that a second address would need to be stored, and verified electronically between retailer and bank at point of sale. I'm quite sure this would be a relatively minor software tweak, for what is potentially, a huge saving in fraud bills.

I don't pretend to believe that this would solve all card fraud problems, but it would make it a hell of a lot harder!

But what do i know, Just my 2p

13. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

the cost of the fraud doesn't lie with the banks... they claw back the money from the retailer and they can even do this if you have shipped to the verified address and someone claims it's fraudulent.
    the only time they can't is when the transaction has been verified by a system like Verified by Visa etc (online password / pin)... it's this system that should be rolled out to all cards and issuers like the PIN system was.

14. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

In the case of Simply Scuba they said earlier in the thread that they had carried out all the recommended online checks :mad:

But you are right in saying that for online transaction virtually all liability lies with the retailer which IMVHO is customer rights taken a step too far :(:time bomb:

15. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm an online retailer myself and our payment system will let through pretty much any transaction no matter how dodgy, I'm shown what data matches (security number, address), whether or not the card was authorised using Verified by Visa (or similar) and at that point I have to make the decision whether or not to let it through.

16. Sidemount_Stu

Staff Member

My apologies, i stand corrected.