1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simply Scuba attacked again

Discussion in 'Stolen, Lost and Found' started by Timmo1, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Timmo1

Timmo1 New Member

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately we have been attacked again, no holes in the wall this time but in the form of fraudulent purchases.

Someone (or group of people) using multiple compromised card details has managed to counter our fraud tracking systems and order a number of Suunto dive computers. We have stopped and retrieved a number of the computers but they still got away with 15 units including D6, D9, HelO2 & Vyper Air models.

The Police are obviously involved and investigating the delivery address and card addresses but once again we would be grateful for the help of the diving community. Please would everyone keep an eye out for brand new Suunto dive computers on eBay or other auction sites (should be easy to spot as retailers are not permitted to auction Suunto products), a list of the models and serial numbers can be found below.

D6 04305167
    D6 04305165
    D6 94604055
    D6 94604042
    D6 03803841
    D6 03803826
    D6 04305168
    D6 02305061
    D6 04305170
    D6 With Stainless Steel Strap 03604442
    D6 With Stainless Steel Strap 04004910
    D9 02404557
    HelO2 94700818
    HelO2 03001810
    Vyper Air 03605776

If you do spot anything that you consider to be suspicious then please contact us using any of the methods below:

Email - customer.services@simplyscuba.com
    Phone - 01227 282808 (10am to 5pm, Mon-Fri)
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=21423854869

or send me a private message

Thanks for your support.

Tim & the rest of the Simply Scuba team

2. countshagula

countshagula Member

Don't want to disappoint you but the police don't really care about this type of issue.
    I worked in banking for years and we simply couldn't get them to show interest in any type of card fraud.

It made me quite cross.

3. indyblade

indyblade Member

Do you mean they used existing customers card details held on your system or card details from random nicked cards

4. John M

John M Member

sorry to hear that

but didnt you think it strange that huge amount of suntos suddenly selling, not sure what you turn over is, but 20+ sunto's in a short period should have rang some alarm bells?

5. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

And this didn't ring any alarm bells?
    I realise you want to get the goods back and want help from divers but this is not showing Simply Scuba in a good light! Surely you use the Verified by Visa or equivalent systems to validate any card purchase? This being the case HOW can you have been the victims of fraud?

6. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Alright guys ffs, the shop has been the victim of fraud. They've lost gear. They've asked for help. I'm no expert on credit card fraud but reading the OP several cards were used, verified by visa only works if the customer signs up for it, no time limit was mentioned so unless you've got evidence to the contrary I suggest cutting the shop a little slack. After all, they just lost several grands worth of gear just before Christmas. Hindsight is 20-20 vision as they say.

7. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

With Silty on this. If SS has a high turnover of items and purchases were handled by different members of staff then it would be a while before anything unusual is noticed. Let's not be judge and jury without any facts. Help them recover items if possible. Card fraud can affect all of us in one way or the other.

8. steveb

steveb Member

as well as the police report the whole thing on-line to ActionFraud which means it will all get into the national fraud intelligence system which is rather good.

9. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

I run an online shop using a fraud screening payment system and 3D secure, unfortunately we still targeted by fraudsters and the payments are normally let through by system even if they are suspected fraudulent. It's then down to the person processing the orders to double check the details and make a judgement call.
    I feel for simply scuba... If I get offered anything or hear of any cheap suunto computers I'll be I touch.

10. simplyscuba

simplyscuba New Member

Hi there guys, thanks very much for your interest on this.

First off I just wanted to clarify that these transactions were not placed with the payment details of existing customers and at no time were customer accounts compromised. All the orders were placed with random stolen card details .

We have very robust fraud detection systems but as it happens all the transactions were placed using cards enrolled for 3D Secure (Verified by Visa or MasterCard Secure Code) and were authenticated by the card holders banks. Obviously a very sophisticated scam where the perpetrators have managed to intercept the card holders secure details or have enrolled the cards themselves.

The orders were placed over the course of the previous month and considering the peak Christmas trading these orders don’t represent an unusual increase in sales.

Due the fact these orders were placed using 3D Secure, the liability for these frauds is passed to the bank, so hopefully we shouldn’t end up too out of pocket. Personally I'm more concerned with the banks putting up their card processing charges and you, me and every man in the street having to ultimately foot the bill because a bunch of toe rags who feel stealing and fraud are acceptable with all honest people ending up paying for.

As the Count so wisely put it the police were indeed very reluctant to get involved, however after much badgering on our part they have now started their investigations and it would appear that the scam is very wide spread. We just hope that the fraudsters get caught or at the very least cant off load the goods because buyers on eBay etc start asking for serial numbers up front and check with the manufactures whether they are on the stolen list.

Thanks for all your help in this guys, hope that you have a great Christmas and the hardcore amongst you enjoy your Boxing Day and New Years Day dives – nutters :eek:)

Nick

11. paul r s78

paul r s78 Member

unfortunately the computers can be used all around the world and will already be sent abroad to be sold on as an "unwanted christmas present"

12. countshagula

countshagula Member

No shit ! - and the police couldn't figure that out ?? :eek:hmy:

This could be stopped instantly and easily - but no-one seems to have the sense to do it. :cursing:

The details may be fake you have the delivery addresses don't you ?

This is the thing - they all have to be delivered somewhere - and that should be the cardholders address and the banks anti-fraud teams should be ringing them up to verify all large ticket CNP transactions with proper ID procedures.

Simple and I've not only saved the UK £10bn but at a stroke reduced the incentive for these scammers (usually foreign it has to be said) to come here.

13. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

At what point does a transaction become high enough value for the fraud teams to get involved though? There are so many transactions hourly online that it just wouldn't be feasible.
    With the advent of 3d secure, online retainers "should" be able to safely process their orders but scammers will and have found ways round this.

14. big si

big si Well-Known Member

my 2p, the police are scumbags that have targets to hit, a business getting robbed is an insurance claim to them thats all, nothing more, nothing worth following up. believe me iv had first hand experience of this.
    in my experience they are only interested in a crime if they dont need to spend any time on it and it leads to an easy prosecution.
    if your police force is anything like humberside police then i pitty you as you will not get anything done.

15. roundyuk

roundyuk Member

"the police are scumbags" - bit harsh!?! The targets are set by government, its them you should moan about...

16. Major Clanger

Intstitutionally, the Police often leave a lot to be desired. I had a house rented out that was once extensively criminally damaged by the occupant before doing a runner. What help did I get from the Police - nil. They said it was a civil matter, which it wasn't. It later turned out later that the tenant was wanted by the Police. They let him slip through their fingers, costing the tax payer and other victims that wouldn't have been victims if the Police had done their job properly.

17. countshagula

countshagula Member

Nick you quick enough for motoring offences though don't they ?

We are talking about economic crime - and that affects ALL of us . I don't admire the chinese for much but they have the right attitude to that problem.

18. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

Motoring offences are easy stats for plod.
    I agree that more should be done but as long as the card companies that encourage us to use their cards online and instore continue to protect my account and refund any fraudulent purchases I'm about as happy as I can be.
    I can't see any other practical alternative... If anyone here can, I'm sure the likes of visa and mastercard would love go hear it.

19. shortcuts

shortcuts Well-Known Member

I can understand the frustration with the police but we have to remember that individually they are employees and as such carry out instructions from their employers who are national and local government. Haveing a go there and not at "the police" might be a bit more useful. I know plenty of very dedicated and at the same time frustrated police officers who are as wound up by some of the issues in this country regarding law enforcement as the rest of us.
    Just my 2pennorth.

20. Major Clanger

I don't think that the Police as a body can blame all of its inadequacies on its employer. They do have discrectionary powers.