1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showa 660 gloves....

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Tribal Chestnut, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I thought that there was a version of the 660 without the horrible fabric knit lining, can’t find it though.

Also, I’ll need to get size 11/XXL - do I stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting it to mount properly on an 80mm Kubi ring?

Cold & useless hands are a serious and dangerous weak-point for me, so if I can’t get a robust system to work with heated gloves I’m going to be restricted to short dives (say 90 mins) in cold water (<8degC), so I might as well sell most of my kit and stick to holiday type stuff.

2. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Don’t kubi have anything in their range ? They’ve got some heavy duty stuff now. Where are you diving for that time and temp ? Those run times for me are sea so better temp range.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

big gloves on a small ring should be ok, it's the other way round that you can't really do very easily, small gloves on a large ring, the gloves just don't stretch that much.

I've never seen any 660's without the woven liner but you can still fit these to kubi's you just need a differnet technique.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I bought some of the thick textured gloves off of Kubi. Absolute bastard to fit, so much so that I bought spare rings so I didn't have to remove them. The difficulty is getting the outer cover over the thicker rubber; there's a knack, but your fingers are raw for trying. There's a thread on here somewhere and maybe TDF.

Anyway, they're much warmer than the normal G17K Marigolds, but you loose a bit of dexterity. I managed 1h40 in a 4 degree Wraysbury solo dive a couple of years ago - boredom defeated me. Hands were fine and the heated vest kept the blood running!

I'm really surprised that you've got your hands in 80mm rings; I've 90mm so I can't give you a lend as it were. (Measuring the inside 'glove' ring diameter)

@becky9 posted a video of how to fit the furry Showa's onto Kubis. Need to use a tool to 'reverse' the glove, so it seals inward, not outward.

5. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Thanks folks, could’ve sworn I’d seen a version without the lining, but I must be mistaken.

I did look at some of Becky’s vids last year, she makes it look so easy.

@Vanny just a few places up north. Only
    teally hit home how cold and useless my hands get when I couldn’t operate the O2 MAV on deco and just hovered there miserably watching my TTS increase until I found a solution.

6. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

@jb2cool my worry with the larger glove/small ring is channeling as even with the XL there seemed to be a lot of excess material.

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s a valid point. The 660’s have a long cuff so maybe try putting the ring further in. I don’t have kubi rings though so maybe 80mm rings with size 11 gloves is just too much disparity

8. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Only one way to find out I suppose. I’ll refresh myself on Becky’s videos, buy some larger gloves and report back here with my frustrations.