1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I change to a Hog Loop?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by loiphin, Sep 24, 2010.

1. loiphin

loiphin Member

Hi all,

A buddy of mine (zulu) and I were doing some simulated OOA recently. He has a hog loop setup with a long primary which he donates. I thought it worked really well, when donating his primary as we had far more space to deal with the OOA situation.

When it came time for me to donate from my regular setup, my 90cm octo hose was really short and it was quite difficult to deal with the ascent while my buddy was struggling to hang onto the octo with his mouth. In a real panic OOA situation I think it could be disasterous.

So I am seriously thinking of switching to a hog loop despite BSAC banning it during training.

What does everyone else think?

loiphin.

2. Flyingspanner

Flyingspanner Well-Known Member

I've never used a Hog setup, but from your post it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
    You seem much happier when using it over your 90cm rig.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Do it if you want. Just make sure you know how to use it correctly. I myself like it.

4. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

I dive a hog loop and really like it. As you say much easier to manage once your buddy is on the reg HOWEVER it does need training/discipline to avoid panic when you suddenly find yourself with no reg in your gob :eek:hmy:

5. bobdob

bobdob Active Member

My personal preference is hog loop on my twinset, but at the moment I've stuck with 'standard' length hoses for my single rig.

Before splashing out on hoses, I'd say do some dives using your buddies kit (assuming they don't mind) to make sure you get on with a hog loop set up, and are happy with the hose routing and donate procedure.

6. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

Good advice :thumbup: From what I understand the reason BSAC don't like the system is that there is a short point of time when neither diver has a working reg in their gob. You need to be 100% confident that you can locate your bailout reg quickly and without panic if/when needed.

As I said above I like the system and after swapping to it on my twinset I now use it even when diving a single cylinder.

7. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Yes...........

8. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

I thought that it was only BSAC Instructors who could not train other divers using the Hog Loop

9. AndyA

AndyA Member

Im BSAC and I hog loop, the debate has been done to death on many forums re whether it is right or not. I like it for the reasons you gave plus it keeps all hoses tucked in nicely

10. zoglet

zoglet Member

Each to their own, I think the hog loop makes more sense, but it also requires the rest of your kit to be consistent for it's use. In my mind that means backplate and wing, not jacket BC.

I'm sure you can work around it to some degree but Hog rigging on BP/W works well because the inflatable part of the BC is out of the way on your back and a kit pocket or canister torch on the waist belt of your harness is used to stow and therefore manage the loop.

I would question whether this works as well on a jacket style BC, where use changes the volume around which the loop travels and there's no waist belt. T here are also a lot more opportunities for snagging the hose than on a BPW where the front of the diver is uncluttered. I'm sure there must be ways, but I'm guessing they're all compromises.

A core consideration of hog looping is that the loop can be quickly, safely and efficiently deployed/stowed in an OOA scenario. If the BC you use doesn't allow for that, perhaps you should consider staying with what you have until you change BC style to one that allows this system to be used properly.[hr]
    Yup. I vaguely recall from a post of the BSAC memo they could not, in their capacity as a BSAC instructor, train, use or advocate, the hog loop. (that was some months back though)

Outside of that, they were free to do what they wanted. Still a bit odd and I recall the rationale was the same. Still that's the beauty of our hobby. Everyone has a daft opinion or practice others will laugh at or dislike :D

I think there was nothing against BSAC divers switching to this system without having it explained to them by a BSAC instructor ;)

11. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

I dive with both BSAC instructors and numerous others as well, I also dive with 2m hose, but I have it stowed under bungees down the back of my twins. Heresy I hear the cry, but its not as far as I can see, …..as it works for me.

The question was that instructors could not teach with them, or teach the training of them, was/is a real storm in a tea cup if you ask me. I know may BSAC instructors, as above, who dive hog looped, it’s never an issue as they instruct most classes in a single cylinder configuration anyway.

12. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just to Clarify, BSAC have not banned Hog Looping

they have banned it's use during training, which is a very different thing altogether. I know maybe 75 BSAC divers that Hogloop, including My chairman, my diving officer, my training officer, my best mate, my wife. Oh, and me. :)

13. loiphin

loiphin Member

Apologies... have updated the original post. Thanks for the clarification.[hr]

14. MK_Stu

MK_Stu Member

Like Garf I am a member of a BSAC club with a number of GUE trained divers who all dive HL (also including the Chairman and DO). Apart from the ban on HL for training dives the other issue was that unless you receive training from a "recognised training agency" you wouldn't be covered by BSAC insurance.

There was a discussion on YD about whether GUE was "recongnised" agency :cursing: but if the OP wants to move to a hog loop a number of instructors were offering courses on diving with a HL/PD etc (Mark Powell, Howard Payne, Rich Walker and others)

I did have a discussion with someone (who shall remain nameless) at Vobster who said he didn't need training to dive a HL because there was no magic involved. As he spoke (having just left the water) he had his light cable stowed over his long hose! :D

15. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

Is this ESAC or another GUE -friendly club?

16. MK_Stu

MK_Stu Member

ESAC

17. mala

mala Member

the only time i have felt really comfy sharing a short hose was to piggy back the doner in horizontal trim.

it was done for fun and planned.

18. Gareth Burrows

Staff Member

Hi Stu, we're in the same club then :)

19. MK_Stu

MK_Stu Member

Hi Garf

I'm not the most regular attendee because of where I live but hoping to get down more in the future.

20. Mike Ward

Mike Ward Member

If you do, be sure you can locate and fit YOUR alternate in the worst situation you can imagine, and practice doing it.