1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short single wing

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by DickyDiver, Jan 16, 2020.

1. DickyDiver

DickyDiver New Member

Hi, I'm 5 ft 3.

Anyone know of a short wing for single cylinder?

Currently using an oms double wing for my twins that is around 20 inch tall and is pretty good but I am wanting a single cylinder wing.

Was looking at Apeks wtx d40 but its around 25 inch long apparently and thats going to sit right on my ass.

Thanks

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Single wings are narrower than twins/doubles. AFAIAA they’re not shorter. They tend to have less buoyancy as well.

Apeks' single wing - can be seen here. 30lbs is fine whereas it’s very common to use 40lbs for a twinset.

look for second hand. There’s little to a wing - mustn’t leak and the inflate/deflate valves must work and they’re easy to service and clean.

3. DickyDiver

DickyDiver New Member

I would imagine there are some wings shorter than others, just knowing what they are.

Integrated bcd's tend to be quite short. It just seems when you get to bp/w they grow.

Thanks

4. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Don’t think they get any shorter. Back plates are generally the same height or get taller / longer. A short wing will get pinched behind the plate. As above narrower yes not shorter.

5. John F

John F Active Member

I have just checked the Halcyon 30 lbs, that is 26”, so not a contender.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The Halcyon explorer wings although a twinset wing is shorter than the Evolve donut wing.

Dive Rite used to do some short wings, they used to do a Trek Wing that was very short indeed although I don't know if they still do this, this was 15 years ago. If you want a short wing though it'll likely be a horseshoe rather than a donut, the fashion these days is to have donut wings that's why everything looks very similar.

7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

My daughter is 5’5” and uses a Light Monkey doughnut.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Shirley the issue with a really short wing - or buoyancy device - is it'll badly affect your trim requiring ankle weights on your mask if you want to get anywhere near horizontal.

OK, maybe exaggerating at tad, but the point of having longer 'wings' is to distribute the buoyancy lift along the body.

I've both Halcyon wings; for twinset and singles - both doughnut style - and it's really great that there's little difference felt when it's in use. I'm flat in the water if using a single, or when using twins.

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What kind of cylinder are you using? So long as the wing is not longer than the cylinder this shouldn't be an issue.

10. DickyDiver

DickyDiver New Member

I use 12 l dumpy at the moment but will be using 15l with this set up.

I don't use 12l tall for the reason that they're too long on my body, I image if needed I can use one.

I understand what you are saying but if a wing is down my ass then do you think I'll have the problem of floaty legs/feet

I've had a reply from Dive right.

Voyager is 22 long and 19 wide
    Travel is 21.5 long and 15 wide.

I'd have to have to Voyager due to lift.

Xdeep haven't come back to my yet.

I haven't come across any single wing donuts and my worry is they may taco around the cylinder if made for twins?

Thanks

11. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

You won’t have a problem with a single doughnut designed for singles if used with a 15.

12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I think you are overthinking this. 5’ 3” isn’t all that tiny, my girlfriend is 5’ 4” and she uses a Halcyon Eclipse on a single cylinder and an IST JT-40 wing on twinset. We know someone even smaller (5’ 2”) and she uses ‘standard’ wings too (Halcyon Evolve on her twinset).

#12 jb2cool, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  13. DickyDiver

DickyDiver New Member

You're probably right.

Thanks

14. korsakof

korsakof Member

15. DickyDiver

DickyDiver New Member

I will have a look at it thanks