1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shore diving in Dover?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Tribal Chestnut, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Do any of you have any suggestions in respect of the above?

I've heard of the harbour wall being dived, max depth about 10m apparently. Anyone done it?

Is there anything else in the area?

Max depth must be 12m.

Ideally I'd like a nice sheltered scenic dive with easy access and parking....

Thanks

2. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Can't help re Dover: the only half decent shore diving I know of in this neck of the woods is down at Newhaven. That has good parking, and if you can avoid the fishing lines can be scenic.

I've done one so-called "recommended" shore dive out of Seaford and it was shit.

3. jps

jps Active Member
    UKD Supporter

St Margarets bay is supposed to be ok so I've heard. Not done it though.
    It's a 10 min drive from Dover.

4. Joe

Joe Active Member

I've dived St Margarets bay once think we had about 4mts max don't think I'd do it again.

5. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

It's just for a child's first dive in the sea, so 4 metres is fine. Was going to be under Swanage pier back in the summer but that day got blown out.

6. Joe

Joe Active Member

Found this posted by DAMO
    Hi all,
    I done a shore dive at St Margarets Bay on sunday which is just round the coast from Dover and it is a lovely secluded bay with parking right at the beach so unloading your gear from the car to the beach is no problem , theres toilets and also a pub so its all there.
    Now , it has quite a good write up for being a good shore dive site with good visibility especially if we,ve had a week or so of nice calm weather which we have , so when we turned up to see the water was flat calm and the sun was shining we couldn,t wait to get in , but when we did the viz was absolutley zero , that bad in fact that you struggled to see your compass.
    So my question is , has anyone been there and had a good dive with half descent viz because its such a lovely place i would like to go back but obviously not if the diving is as crap as that.We could just try it again but i wanted to see if anyone else has been there.

Thanks
    d this posted by Damo Apr 27th 2009)

if it helps
    (

7. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Oh, that's not good!

Thanks anyway.