1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shark cage diving....in cornwall

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Beanie, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Beanie

Beanie New Member

Yeh I wasn't quite sure either
    Read the article

http://www.divesitedirectory.com/dive_site_uk_england_southwest_padstow_bude_shank_cage_diving.html

It goes from Padstow and Bude

Seeing as you're a knowledgeable and well travelled bunch (kinda)
    Was wondering if anyone had heard/done this before?

2. Flyingspanner

Flyingspanner Well-Known Member

Looking at the pics on there website, is about the best reason not to go cage diving, That Blue Shark is showing numerous Threat Postures, no doubt caused by the confusion, that a steel cage in salt water, would cause to an animal that relies on electrical impulses for hunting.

I can't think of a time that any UK divers have been attacked by Blues or Porbeagle, (but may be wrong)

By all means go diving in and around our coast, and enjoy it (we all do). But don't piss off the wild life.

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Member

I'm with the Flying Spanner on that!

4. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

Cornish based shark diving was originally set up by Richard Pierce, who's also the chairman of the Shark Trust and the Shark Conservation Society... so education and raising awareness are high on the agenda.

AFAIK the diving activities take place in deep water, water is chummed to bring the sharks in... so the cage is probably a good idea! Personally it's not something I'd be interested, I'd much rather have a natural encounter (if you can call strapping compressed air to your back and breathing under water natural ;)) then manufactured, but if it helps raise awareness and reduces ignorance, then no prob.

5. Beanie

Beanie New Member

Bottlefish - I'd be inclined to agree, anything that does raise awareness is good in my eyes.
    My idea is to follow the boat out on a RIB and then go in, get the pictures and a bit of the old adrenaline pumping.

Try and make the vegetarian aswell
    Offer a carrot out and see if we can convert them
    Thumbs Up