1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second hand?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by browny2004, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Colliwobbles

Colliwobbles Active Member

The computers didn't like the plan, threw all sorts of random deep stops in at different depths then went wack wacky oops.

The computer didn't do what the divers wanted the computer to do so the computer got upset and locked out more like.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

They didn't like the plan as the plan was generated with a different algorithm. If the plan was created with the same algorithm as the computer uses then the computer and plan would have matched.

I'm not arguing and saying the Eon is a good computer. I'm just arguing the point because I'm an argumentative soul.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  3. Colliwobbles

Then we have the issue of different divers diving different plans on different computers due to different algorithms.

Then we're in a right pickle.

Luckily we know the eon isn't a good computer. Considering all 3 bent at different times it doesn't say much really but people know what the like and like what they know.

jb2cool likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

If only Suunto would stop marketing their recreational tat by implying it's "tech" kit. Cos it ain't. Like the DX - who would use that even as a backup CCR computer?

Them their Shearwaters and OSTCs rule the roost when it comes to proper computers. Sure, some others exist, but not Suuntos -- unless they're in gauge mode. Or bent....

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

It seems the divers failed to plan the dive based on the equipment they were using. That would seem to be where the fault lay.
    If they had done so then the differences in plans would have been noted and the more conservative plan would have become the dive plan, or the conservatism setting revised.

There is a well known saying about workmen and tools. I'm sure I'll remember it later.....

6. Dave Whitlow

I'd be interested here the definition of 'tech kit' and why some fail to meet the grade.

I used to dive a VR3 (2 actually) and I suspect they were considered to be tech kit. However, I planned my dives using the Suunto Dive Manager (designed for Suunto computers) with conservatism setting of P-2. Maybe they weren't 'tech kit' after all? Apart from a couple of metres difference for the deeps stops the plans were identical. It worked well as I sometimes dives with a guy with a Suunto HelO2. We never bent any computers. We didn't get bent either.

Just know your computer and plan to use it within the design parameters and most computers will get you out safe most of the time (so long as your gas plan and gas management is sound).

splinter likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Deep stops.
    Bent by default - needs 48 hours rest
    Can't change settings underwater.
    Strange idea of MOD - not dose/mix

8. Alan Davies

Alan Davies Active Member

So what computers are u guys using what do u recommend for a beginner

9. Dave Whitlow

Plan the dive, dive the plan :)

10. Dave Whitlow

A second hand Suunto Vyper would work, or a shiny new OSTC Sport, depending on your eyes.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Funnily enough, the Suunto computers are great for beginners. Zoop, Vyper, etc. Just don't spend lots of money on the more expensive Suuntos as there's much better dive computers out there. And definitely don't spend money on a Suunto watch computer unless you want an expensive watch.

12. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A beginner?

Easy awnser Zoop Novo.
    https://andark.co.uk/product/suunto-zoop-novo/

Doesnt overcomplicate things, has a clearer display/graphics and easier to use 4 buttons.
    Will do everything you want in diving including Nitrox and if you do decide to get into Tech
    can be switched to gauge mode making it great for cutting tables.

Even if that far down the line you did buy a more advanced computer, it stioll works as an essential
    gauge mode backup.

13. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

They should all do Fundies...

Andy Stevenson and Griffalo like this.
  14. Colliwobbles

Certainly should. Makes life so much easier !

Griffalo likes this.
  15. browny2004

browny2004 New Member

I'm only 5ft 9 so a large might be too big and on me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk