1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Hand Equipment

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by reefer, May 15, 2017.

1. reefer

reefer Member

Having done my try dive, I absolutely loved it. I'm booked on the Open Water course now.

Assuming all goes well, I would anticipate doing the AOW next (just for a couple more hours experience with an instructor) and then transitioning over to BSAC to look at sports diver.

I'd be looking at diving UK quarries, sea (when more experienced) initially.

How does the following sound?

A new mask (that fits well) will be my first purchase together with a cheap snorkel (it seems this is a PADI course requirement, but from reading elsewhere - they don't really get used going forward)

Computer wise (and the PADI manual makes it quite clear a computer it pretty much essential these days) - reading around - the Suunto Zoop fairs well - roughly £149 new.

This is an expensive hobby no doubt, so I'm keeping my eye out on eBay for bargains second hand where possible.

Dry Suit - I'd probably look at SeaSkims MTM as they are local to me. Unless I could get a second hand suit off . I think I am probably pretty average size wise so this could be an option.

Out of interest, do people rate the MARES Sprit BCD? there is one for sale for £45 - apparently never used. This retails at around £150 new. I nearly purchased this today, but I wanted to hear what others thought. I'm sure there will be other bargains if I miss this one.

The Buddy BCDs are mentioned here pretty frequently - I assume that would be a good purchase second hand? - just check the thing inflates - and holds the air over night.

Regs - Again from reading, if buying second hand I need to factor in £50ish for service. I think I'd rather pay for a new set - so roughly £260 for a set including SPG ?

I keep seeing this manufacturer in posts here:-
    Apeks DS4 first stage and ATX40/XTX40 second stages

I'm not in a big hurry to spend loads of cash, but if I see a second hand barging - I might just have to grab it.

Does the above list sound sensible?

Cheers
    Al

2. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

There's lots of threads on here that cover off your questions but to summarise:

• the most important consideration for masks and exposure suits is fit - make sure you try before you buy (or have a good idea you are a standard fit)
    • a bcd is a bag of wind - as long as it stays up (and has an inflator at the end of the elephants trunk!) it will do the job
    • Apeks regs will last a lifetime / your diving career - and ATX40s are as much as anyone needs. Buying new is often cheaper than second hand and a service
    • Suunto Zoop or cheap dive computer is a good idea
    probably the most important advice we can give is look / ask on here before you buy.

Most of us will have bought tat that we have subsequently sold :)

reefer likes this.
  3. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I think we could stick a fork in this thread and say it's done.

Regarding drysuits, if you're going for MTM, consider Otter as well - they're not far away from you and do make excellent drysuits.

reefer likes this.
  4. reefer

reefer Member

5. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Your list and plan sounds good.
    I've just got my second seaskin suit wet and it's spot on.

Get new regs, they keep you alive and you are right, a good sh set and a service (more like £80+) will cost the same. Call Sam at JustApeks for a good deal on Apeks regs.

@Tel is the man to ask about used BCD shopping.

reefer likes this.
  6. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

I think he means he has never used it rather than it being unused ;)

But that's about what I would expect to pay for a generic BCD

reefer likes this.
  7. reefer

reefer Member

I think you might be right, I need to learn to be a little more sceptical. Also, he was quoting £15ish Parcel Force delivery (I never understand why people don't quote parcel 2 go or similar. - I bet it would be under £8 delivery elsewhere):smuggrin

8. reefer

reefer Member

The way I see it, had I not found these forums - I could have spent a small fortune in brand new gear where not strictly necessary.

If I'm wise, they money I save could go towards a decent diving trip somewhere etc.

Wibble and Zubar like this.
  9. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I now recommend Buddy BCDs, preferably wings, from the start. You can pick up second hand tek wings pretty cheaply and they quite literally last for ever if well looked after. My reason for recommending is that you can then later add twinning bands if you want to and carry on using the same BCD/wing for many years to come.

Diving in the sea in the UK you will quickly want extra redundancy and adding a pony is alright, but why bother when you can have two independent 12s? I know loads of people who dive manifolded steel banded 12s on a buddy BCD too, which is perfectly sturdy even if it gives some DIR divers the heebie-jeebies.

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I had indie 12's on a buddy commando for a few years. Worked ok, I choose to move on.

11. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

That is fair enough! Actually so have I, but my original single tank band BCD only got used a handful of times so one you can (but don't have to) use as twin bands has a longer shelf life as I see it...

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Main thing is to avoid the yellow tat dreampt up by some marketing gimp. Scepticism is definitely a good thing -- why is that person interested in selling you XYZ. Regs are a good thing. The gimps are after flogging "high-end" regulators that give absolutely nothing extra when compared with *good* quality medium priced ones. For example Apeks sell the excellent DS4 / DST regulators, but also now the MTX things which are many times more expensive for "a reg that works just like the cheaper ones". Marketeers; come the revolution comrades....

As all say, there's certain things worth buying new, but mostly second hand is best. A new set of regs will last for a long time and you've a guarantee.

At some point in your diving career -- circa 50 dives? -- you'll face the choice of which direction to go. If you make the move to a twinset (for redundancy, resilience and gas volumes), then you'll ditch the BCD for a wing and backplate and need to reconfigure everything. If you get the Apeks regs, you can continue to use them.

I bought a BCD for €500 on holiday at the beginning. Sure, was OK, but I ended up flogging it two years later for £200. If only I'd bought a second-hand one in the beginning...

You could end up embarrassing yourself when you flog it all off...

Alex Denny likes this.
  13. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I can't believe I missed that yellow post! (I have a pair of the yellow PADI sunglasses I quite like)

14. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol, main thing to avoid are Internet pundits who believe that everybody will go the same route they did :p

The vast majority of the worlds divers will buy a BC and just go diving. Sure some will change kit, but that could be 5, 50, or 500 dives
    just depends who you were listening to that week. What REALLY matters us that YOU decide where you want to be on this path.

Tootling along playing follow my leader with yellow fins and a multicoloured BC pointing at pretty fish, good on yer :)
    Decide that deeper/longer stuff and a more independent attitude beckons then sure well done to that as well.

Colour is all bollocks anyway, I have yellow fins cause they are easier to see in a silt out and have been a blessing on some brown stain
    moments. That's me though, don't like them? Sure that's your call but it doesn't make the owner of yellow fins a dick anymore it makes the
    owner of a black pair a dick :p
    Kit is subjective - I hate Spare Airs with a passion, but know someone who came very seriously close to buying the farm after getting
    snagged and that gasp no matter how little it is on paper or ridiculed on the net was enough to survive. So who am I (or anybody else)
    to say that this bit of kit was wrong?

Bottom line is that kit choices are just that, choices. Sure i've made mistakes with some kit,. but i've also ignored advice
    on kit and been pleasantly surprised when it turns out to be really good :) In the end do the research sure listen to advice for sure
    but be objective, get enough experience and smarts to decide if that advice is what YOU want :)

VintageGt likes this.
  15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As a by-the-by, I still use yellow tipped Hollis fins - they really do make a difference when swimming in line through soup.

Main thing with all that yellow tat was the sheer amount bought thinking it would be good idea, then it discovered it wasn't. Like all those retractors (ends up with crap hanging off of you), magnetic holder for an octopus (which actually did work well) just got rid of the octopus, various hose clips (sorted the kit out, don't need them - although I still see a lot of LHS octopus routers using them!), ankle weights (just sort out the positioning of the cylinder)... TBH the big drysuit pockets make all the difference to what's dangling off you.

But will absolutely accept your point @Tel - we're all different and what's good for some isn't for others no matter what we may think (although a Buzz Lightyear bungeed double-bladder red 96lb wing does look rather naff)

Really looking forwards to our two weeks in Spain in July. This will be diving off of the most recreational of recreational dive boats with the most holiday of holiday divers. I'll look completely out of place using my drysuit (in 24 degrees water), backplate, wing, longhose, umbilical torch... all on a single cylinder. But am I a happy bunny... Just go diving, look at the fish find those elusive sea-horses hiding in the crevices - they're really small and hard to spot... 3..2..1.. back in the room.

16. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I'm looking forward to diving in Pemba island in June in all hired kit except my mask, trusty holiday shorty and €10 slip on "flippers" from Lanzarote, which is my take it anywhere holiday snorkel kit. My hired BC and Ali 80 will do me just fine. Did I mention Pemba? 28C water temp, turtles, sunfish and possibly whale sharks?

Ducks and runs for cover...

17. reefer

reefer Member

Fin wise, I'm on the look out for some Hollis F1 XXLs. What other brands are worth looking out for?

I assume I'm looking out for something fairly rigid.

18. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

reefer likes this.
  19. reefer

reefer Member

my god. £243 for a pair of pro force fins! Are they coated with magic dust or something?:jawdrop:

20. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Lashings of snake oil more like.