1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SeaSkin Nova drysuit- back zip question

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by JoeMatthews, Jul 14, 2017.

1. JoeMatthews

JoeMatthews New Member

Hi all,

I have recently become a Padi OW & drysuit diver. I am keen to start diving regularly and want to purchase my own kit, having spoken with friends together with research I have gone for a SeaSkin Nova- membrane drysuit. One main reason was the price combined with the 'extras' and the positive reviews.

I am curious to know if anyone else has the back zip version and whether it has a crotch strap or not, it would appear they do install them but this strikes me as a little odd (I thought this was generally only for front loaders)?

Thanks
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Would seem odd to fit a crotch strap to a back loader; as you say it's normally only fitted to the front.

Drysuits do make all the difference to UK diving.

JoeMatthews likes this.
  3. JoeMatthews

JoeMatthews New Member

Thanks Wibble, I'll give them another call tomorrow.

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Why do you want a back zip?

5. JoeMatthews

JoeMatthews New Member

No real reasoning, just preference and what I learned to dive in. It seems neater to have it across the back in my OCD brain.
    I certainly won't be doing any solo diving for some time!

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My old suit was a back loader; my current suit a front loader. I'd never go back to a back loader simply because it's so much more convenient to be able to dress yourself, even if it's to just undo your suit on a crowded boat. But, as you say, it's personal preference.

JoeMatthews likes this.
  7. JoeMatthews

JoeMatthews New Member

With regards to the telescopic torso, Seaskin design and make the suit in the same way whether or not it's a back or front loader. Richard explained it well and it's a good idea as it allows you to be more flexible and as it's MTM and not off the peg it *should* fit closer. It would otherwise to very difficult to touch your feet for example without stressing the suit.
    I'm very happy with everything and having done a bit of research, I asked for the dump valve to be in the DIR position as this makes a lot of sense.
    Suit is due early September!

8. nickb

nickb Active Member

I always prefer a front-loader but the zips need to be thinner than the traditional rear zip tends to be and don't tend to last as long. They can also be more expensive to replace, given the extra work involved.

JoeMatthews likes this.