1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sealing Wetsuit seals

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by BabyShark, Oct 8, 2019.

1. BabyShark

BabyShark New Member

Hi all,

I got a scheduled diving weekend in two weeks to 35m on Stoney Cove. I will be doing two dives per day: 20m, 25m on Saturday and 30m, 35m on Sunday.

I have a 5mm wetsuit and just bought a 5mm oversuit. Got 7mm hoods and boots and gloves. I also got 2mm neoprene socks.

My question is if it’s easy or worth to seal my wetsuit seams to provide me a bit of an edge. I’m looking into an NSeal tape or an Aquaseal to seal the seams mostly on legs and arms.

Any advice on how to get prepared ? Is it easy or effective ?

Btw, I could also rent a dry suit but I just completed my dry suit course recently and concerned I might not get a good fit with rental drysuits.

Note. Some forecasts suggest to snow in October 2019

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Is this a course ? Whilst noting your dry suit inexperience it’s dry suit for that stuff all day long for me. Maybe build some suit experience first ? Then progress depth.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The water's getting cooler, but won’t get too cold until December. Should be ok until mid nov, obviously weather dependent.

A wetsuit will work but there’s very few seen in winter where the drysuit prevails. They’re easy enough to master but do need practice, especially when ascending.

Thinking about it, I can only remember one wetsuit on any dive boat this year which was an older Scottish chap up in Scapa. He was doing shorter dives and rinsing off in a warm shower, compared with mine and my buddy’s 90 minute dives in our drysuits.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I agree with your concern about rented dry suits - hated them and not happy until I'd acquired my made-to-measure one that I now prefer to a wetsuit.
    Do you have to do the dives that weekend - it is definitely dry suit, the water is beginning to cool down now. I agree with Vanny; you've got the rest of you life to build your skills.

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Dunno what I’ve done there but hopefully you get the point :wtf:

Wibble likes this.
  7. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I wouldn't have thought sealing the seams woudl change the thermal efficiency very much - do you get much water flushing through the seams compared to the neck / legs?

The drysuits they'll have for rent will be "off the peg" sizes, so unless your body shape is particularly unusual, you should get as good a fit as you would buying one that isn't made to measure.

Stoney Cove was 11 degrees when I was there in November last year, and 13-14 degrees last time I was there in an October (2015).

The forecasts for snow in October are most likely to be the Daily Express, who love an "Extreme Weather" headline (my favourite was "Winter could last THREE MONTHS!")
    The DE weather reporter once predicted "Hottest Easter Ever!", then 10 days later, "10 inches of snow, gales and plummeting temperatures" - both written by the same "journalist"

BabyShark likes this.
  8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I think you'd be wasting your time. A Wetsuit is a wetsuit whatever you do with the seams. Most of the time the seams are glued and blind stitched anyway so this should not be necessary.

9. BabyShark

BabyShark New Member

I’ve called the dive center with my measurements and I should be ok with their Drysuit - it’s a predator according to them. Many thanks for the advice. The dives will be for a BSAC Sports Diver course.

NickPicks likes this.
  10. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I take it you've completed the course, and are doing the depth progression at those depths?

I would say "have fun, but it's not very interesting down in the pit", but with the weather forecast for Dorset this wekend, I might end up at Stoney myself :(

BabyShark likes this.
  11. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

the viz is - at best - arms length from around 30m... the lights literally go out as you hit the silt cloud... and torches will do little .... the temps are circa 6*c at the moment.... if you're doing depth progression, then I'd go down the shot to the hydrobox, mooch around there for a few minutes, then find the rope that comes off the corner and follow that back up to the 20m shelf... the pit is not the place to be doing your first dives past 30m really - you'll most likely be narked off your tits, and not enjoy it one bit. following the lines is bar far the safest and will give you some reassurance...

Vanny likes this.
  12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

NDAC's a far nicer place to do 30+ metre dives. Vis is much better and there's a wall to follow. Once done you just ascend the wall and enjoy the various attractions around 28m.

Stoney's pit is a bit cack. Cold, dingy and whilst there's the Pirate Trail, it's a sod finding it.

13. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Finding its easy... follow the edge of the pit at 20m till you find the gang plank... drop down to 35m and there’s the trail...

seeing anything at all past 30m is the real sod

Wibble likes this.