1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sealed 1st stage

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Paul1970, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Paul1970

Paul1970 New Member

Hi, a quick question for some experienced people,

I understand that an environmentally sealed 1stage is requires for cold water diving. Would I be right to assume that a sealed 1st stage could also be used in warm water with no issues?

2. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Yup, no problems whatsoever.

Paul1970 likes this.
  3. Paul1970

Paul1970 New Member

Thanks, I guessed it would be but appreciate your help.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's not 'environmentally sealed' that matters per se, it's the cold water design which counts.

Compare two renowned first stages: Scubapro Mk25 and the Apeks DS4. Both are excellent cold water regulators, the Apeks is sealed and the Mk25 is open.

All cold water regulators can be used in warm water. Warm water rated regulators have inferior icing resistance, e.g. they don't have heat sinks or are made out of plastic.