1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scubapro mantis m1

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Seanlol, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Seanlol

Seanlol New Member

Anybody got the new Scubapro Mantis m1 dive computer and can give me an honest review on it before I go out and buy it.
    Thanks guys
    Sean

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Any particular reason for selecting that computer?

I don't know that computer, but some general comments about them... Watch-sized dive computers are quite hard to read underwater in the gloom which we dive in the UK. Much easier in clearer waters though. If you want it as a watch, fair doos; there's quite a few like that, such as the Suunto d4s. Having said that, they're a plastic case and this one's metal. It's probably a good idea to actually see one in the flesh though, even try one on the wrist to make sure it looks OK.

I'd generally recommend one of the larger computers, such as the Suunto Vyper Air. They've got bigger buttons which are easier to use with gloves on.

The best type of computer to get is the LCD/OLED screens which are permanently on. These are brilliant underwater no matter what the conditions -- I was diving a couple of weeks ago and had a complete "silt out" where someone kicked up the muck, and I could still read my XDeep bottom timer even though the vis was literally a couple of inches.

I dive with two computers (unless I'm diving with GUE divers:balckeye: ) -- a Suunto d9tx and the XDeep bottom timer. I only really use the XDeep as the Suunto's so difficult to read a depth. The Suunto's only really used as a backup and to log the dives.

I notice that the Mantis' PC interface cable isn't included - Scubapro being a bunch of tight-arses. One of the great benefits of a dive computer is logging your dives, so you'll need one from the beginning. Similarly it doesn't include the heart rate monitor belt.

Not sure what use the heart rate monitor is though; I know they bang on about decompression as their algorithm (modified Bühlmann?) considers your heart rate, but it really is just marketing bollocks (technical term). For a start this computer is aimed at the recreational market -- recreational diving = no decompression diving. When you're decompressing and therefore doing technical diving, you're very much resting in the water, so you should have a low heart rate. The deco algorithms/tables should cater for this by being more conservative as you're not off-gassing as efficiently. TBH this looks like a load of techno-babble from a marketing gimp: as underwater the last thing you need is to be stressed as you'll be chugging your gas like it's going out of fashion, and will be on your way to the surface a lot quicker. If you're technical diving, you wouldn't be using this computer (except for a backup); you'd be using a Shearwater Petrel, OSTC, Liquivision, etc. (Or a bottom timer if you're diving with GUE).

The Vyper Air does include the interface cable and is cheaper than the Mantis.

Finally a bit of opinion (as if the above isn't!); I don't like segment displays. I think they look a bit naff. The Suuntos use a dot-matrix, so have different text.

Seanlol likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Also... you don't need the "air integration" -- which this computer doesn't do anyway.

It's a distraction and may stop you from checking the reliable gauge attached to your regulators. The transmitters look like handles when people are lifting your cylinders around the boat. It can't be good for them.

Seanlol likes this.
  4. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

OSTC just saying.

5. Seanlol

Seanlol New Member

WOW!!
    Thanks for the response Wibble. A lot more there than I ever expected

I chose the mantis as like you said i was looking at more of a wearable watch as well as a dive computer. I'm still pretty new to diving and I'm still being drawn in by anything shiny. But I liked the look of the mantis against other "watchlike DC's"
    I use a uwatec aladin as my normal DC. Nothing technical but it was a good place to start when buying all my own kit.
    I've looked at the suuntos and they are all good but all a lot pricier. And the shearwater and OSTC's are all to technical and way out of my price range at the mo. I like the fact I can use it when I'm training too and i won't need to buy the expensive HRM strap for the watch as I've already got a polar HRM and I've spoke to polar and I can switch the strap between the 2 watches with is a bonus.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Does it have a gauge mode? Just sayin!

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Me too:) For the price I'm not that keen on the D9tx except as a normal watch that is definitely waterproof. It's nice to be able to review the weekend's dive during the week when the customers are having a go - a bit like a beardy can enjoy his lunch a second time:)

The Shearwater & OSTC are most definitely technical computers. There is a recreational version called the OSTC Sport for £410. The techie computers are very much aimed at decompression diving with multiple gasses.

The Suunto D9tx is a great example of a technobabble marketing triumph. It does trimix, eight different gasses, etc, etc. Never in a month of Sundays would one use it for that as it's way too fiddly to use. But hey that's marketing for you.

Oh, and the other useless feature is the utterly broken digital compass. Apart from draining the £50! battery, it doesn't work unless you calibrate it all the time. So a decent wrist compass is much better and just works.

Seanlol likes this.
  8. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

What do you think ?!

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I think you'll need it soon:)

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Nope. Nothing soon. I like my computer. I trust it much more set at 20/85 than my dyslexic mind trying to work out my deco. What seems simple to some ties me in knots.
    However knots I'm good at. Even complex ones.

Doomanic likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

(For the benefit of others, we're talking about GUE's use of bottom timers instead of computers. You can calculate your deco obligations using Ratio Deco techniques on the fly. )

Has anyone seen or used the OSTC Sport? Seems pretty good value for money and OSTC have a good reputation.

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

This. Jus' agreeing.
    Yep. Jus' clarifyin'

:D

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

I don't believe you. One of us, one of us, one of us... ;)

Even I can manage Ratio Deco and I'm too fick to see that RD is the most important course in the history of forever...

I used Ratio Deco all last week and survived. I started off running my OSTC in comp mode, but finished in gauge mode as the display is clearer.

14. jordan-idive

jordan-idive New Member

Yep I have one, Its crystal clear to read underwater (can be a bit of a pain to show someone something on it in the sunshine however) I am a big fan. Like most computers it can do a million and one things that I will almost certainly never need it to BUT for the money there isnt anything that comes close in my eyes. (ie its less than the D4 Novo but easily as good as the Eon) no Air integration if that's your thing however.

I looked into getting a watch computer (older Scuba pro one), probably will one day, but for UK diving which is what I mostly do I wanted something easier to read at a glance without having to mess about with back lights and all that jazz.

Back to the OP, I dont know if it matters but Scuba Pro will be a the dive show, good chance to have a real good look at them, helped me last year as they were a lot smaller than I thought, might be worth the trip

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Seems to be really good value for money.

Most of the OLED / backlit LCD screens aren't much cop in direct sunlight. Hardly a loss though as you want to see the damn thing underwater! The non-backlit monochrome LCD screens are easy to see above water, but can be harder to see underwater unless you turn on their backlighting.

Where this really comes into its own is as you're ascending to your stop(s). You don't need a screen that's hard to read as you're faffing with your spool/reel and looking at your team/buddy. Glancing at one of these is simple.

16. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Ok so what are Ratio Deco techniques how do you use them?

17. Doomanic

Staff Member

Thank fuck for that, I thought you were going to explain it yourself... :woot:

Zubar likes this.
  18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

You could have done us a favour as you're all dived up with it and it obviously worked as you're no more bent than normal:)