1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scuba related books?...

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Suffolkmatireland, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Suffolkmatireland

Suffolkmatireland New Member

I have just finished The Silent World by Jacques Cousteau, i really enjoyed it, and the photos inside i thought were great too!

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Takes me back to my youth when Jacques Cousteau and Hans and Lotte Hass made popular tv shows.

Big Joe likes this.
  3. winsla

winsla New Member

Anyone here into coffee table books? Basically just scuba diving pictures. Never seen one in my local bookstore. Guess you gotta order them online.

4. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Just ordered 100 British shore dives by Anita Sherwood. Got recommended to me

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Do let us know what you think. Could be interesting and very relevant.

6. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I popped into Ocean Leisure in London yesterday and picked up 100 best UK shore dives - thought that could be fun... Also came across "How We Found the Mary Rose" on ebay so bought that...

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

The DVD boxset of the original TV series (and the films) are often on offer on Amazon - Well worth a watch on those cold winter evenings! :D

Although, the approach to marine conservation has changed rather dramatically over the years! I can't see anyone involved it in these day supporting the slaughter of sharks by sailors or the taming of wild sealions!

M.

8. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Top 100 british shore dives came in the post today. Looks a good little book, with maps of entry and exit points, B&B, air fills, Parking and of course Pub lunches

9. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

I won't mention The Darkness Beckons - we all know how great it is, but Deco for Divers (again we've all heard of it) is a really great introduction to more technical diving; it's informative, but explained well so everything is understandable.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ooh, Mr Farr...

Classic Dark Site Diving - a great list of overhead locations around the UK and abroad.

And the Cave Diving Group's Cave Diving Manual for the rather special UK bias on diving UK sumps. Even a small section on gas consumption issues whilst digging!

11. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

There's little out there for sump diving, but Jill Heinerth's The Essentials of Cave Diving (3rd edition) is great for 'normal' cave diving (read Mexico, Florida, France-ish diving). I bought it with the idea that this will be the next stage of my training, and it's a good read.

12. Suffolkmatireland

A few charity shop bargains i found when i was last home!

Attached Files:

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Coastlines from the air will be good

14. Suffolkmatireland

I have just finished a book called Mapping the deep by Robert Kunzig, which i found in a charity shop. It is a good read, although it is not what you would call a light read! But it gives a good insight into the deep sea and the science behind the study of it all. If you see a copy it is worth a try

15. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Anyone know if this book is actually available anywhere yet?

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Just purchased “oxygen management for divers” by John s lamb. Meant to be an informative read. From a ccr prospective should help my understanding.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Interesting. Amazon are showing it as out of stock, but the lack of reviews indicates it's never been released.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Currently reading:
    A Walk on the Deep Side by John Keen.
    About deep diving record attempts in Sharm in the early naughties. Interesting and easy reading.

Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth by James Tabor.
    A book about extreme caving and cave diving. How about thousands of metres down and many days from the surface with no chance of recovery. Makes Everest look a doddle. Story follows two extreme cavers in two different locations; an American caving in Mexico and a Ukrainian. Interesting read.

Suffolkmatireland likes this.
  19. Suffolkmatireland

I really enjoyed Blind descent, well worth checking out

20. Suffolkmatireland

Although not strictly a diving book, i have just read David Mearns "The shipwreck hunter", which is an amazing read, i could not put it down!