1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scapa

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Iain Denham, Apr 30, 2019.

1. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Don’t forget to come along to the Scapa 100 Hub, upstairs in the Royal, tonight at 6pm for the kick-off event.

2. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Just back great week for me the guns on the Markgraf just past the anchor chain at about 44m, the Desden due to its easily recognized shape and guns, the Bayern Turrets and the Bottle run were the best, but each to his own.

Wibble and NickPicks like this.
  3. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

"Currently recreational divers are allowed to access the waterspace around the wrecks, but are not permitted to touch, enter or to go within one metre of them."

Is that right? Good job we're all "Technical" divers rather than "Recreational" then.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Leave only bubbles...

6. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

:eek: I thought bubbles went up and merely accelerated the inevitable corrosion of wrecks so the modern version was 'leave only GoPros and Kent Tooling Reels' :D

JohnL and Wibble like this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Paragraph 11 confirm

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Confirmed.
    Just on our way back from the memorial service now

9. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

It's the anniversary of the scuttling today isn't it? (I guess, hence the Memorial?) Is it a coincidence they did it on the solstice?

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Coincidence, the 21st was the deadline for peace negotiations but no agreement had been reached. The deadline had been extended but the Germans were only given access to papers a few days old so they feared their ships would be seized so scuttled them.

Alex Denny likes this.
  11. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Pardon my ignorance but up thread someone mentioned drying out a cylinder. How is this carried out.
    Secondly Mrs PD and me have recently returned from a week on Orkney during which time obviously we went over the Churchill Barriers and looked at the possibility of diving there. We enquired with Scapa Scuba about cost of a couple of guided dives. No Tec stuff for us though.
    However the real reason for going up to Orkney was to look for property with a view to moving up there. Reading what has been said on here about accomodation perhaps we should open a B&B near the flow.
    I must say what an amazing place Orney is can recommend the Tea Rooms at Bursay for great cakes.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I flooded a steel suit inflate cylinder. Opened it up, tipped out the water, rinsed in freshwater, drained, then left it in the airing cupboard for a few days. Seemed fine until it was tested. And failed due to internal rust.

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

They l seem fine.......till they explode.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The test guy said that they can't shot blast suit inflate tins as they're too small. So had to replace it.

15. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

The 'test guy' is a twat. I've had several 1l steel tins successfully shot/sand blasted included one of my current ones.

NickPicks likes this.
  16. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

They can shot blast the rust off, then hydro test it. If the blasting has made it so thin it fails the hydro test, then that's a different kettle of soldiers.

17. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

What happened to the kettle of fish?

18. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

The soldiers ate them?

19. Joe brown

Joe brown New Member

I'm hoping to have a few days in Mid Feb 2020. Will be my first trip. Wondered if there were any day boat options? I can't seem to find any local guided tours - be grateful for any tips. Thanks.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's early in the season. Wouldn't think there'll be that many boats going out then; probably a lot of them lifted out for maintenance.