1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scapa

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Iain Denham, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Finally home after a 1750 mile round trip. Stopped overnight near Eyemouth and had a couple of dives on a boat in the Farne Islands for some seal action.

Alas the seals weren't playing, except maybe hide and seek, which they easily won. Still a lovely place to dive and nice to chill out in Seahouses.

Overall I'm utterly delighted with our week in Scapa. Wonderful place, superb diving, nice people. Highly recommended for any other diver. We were pushing our bottom times to over an hour for our 90min runtime, others weren't but they enjoyed it too.

NickPicks, John F, jps and 1 other person like this.
  2. snowman

snowman Active Member

Absolutely.

I hear 'You can't do Scapa without a Deep Spec/Twinset/Mixed Gas/furry dice' all the time, but I did my 50th dive as an AOW in Scapa on the Coln (I seem to recall) with a single and I loved all the dives I did there.

I'm sure you get a different experience with longer dives and more experience, but I never dissuade people with less experience going.

One day I'll go back with my twins :)

M

3. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

So I am headed up that way of Friday this week diving from the MV JEAN ELAINE ,so NIck a couple of quickies please;

Whats the vIz like?
    Which wreck do I need to plan to spend most time on (limited funds on gas etc) was going to bring a couple of deco tins with me?
    We are staying on the Hammnavoe Hostel B&B, any tips for food on a budget?

Thanks in advance for answers.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I’d suggest strong deco gas. I used 80% for about 10 to 15 mins for a bottom time of an hour ish. So about three dives from an ali7 before top up.

Bottom gas was twin 12s with 32% to 35m and weakened for deeper dives — 26% for the Markgraf which was my deepest at 43m

Vis last week was frequently more than 10m

Have fun:)

Iain Denham likes this.
  5. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Viz has dropped off a bit but is still up to 10m

Markgraf is usually the longest dive as it’s the deepest. Most other wrecks are 36/7m to the seabed. They’re all quite big though so will need either a longish dive or repeat visits.

On OC I used to do about 50-60mins on the wreck on optimal nitrox with 10 mins or so on O2 deco.

Cheapest option for grub is to buy it in the Coop and cook it yourself. The Chinese is good but expensive. There’s a new café, Ell & Co., that does a fish supper for a reasonable price.

Iain Denham likes this.
  6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

This is important, it’s a ‘fish supper’, not ‘fish and chips’, yes, it does comprise fish and chips but north of the wall where the wildlings are it’s a ‘fish supper’.

StuartM, Griffalo and nickb like this.
  7. AndyW

AndyW Member

80% as deco gas. Use half the cylinder. Top with air.... 50%.

Use that and then get another 80% fill

8. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

...or O2 as deco gas and top up with O2

50% is a shit deco gas for these depths

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

How's @Vanny's trip to Scapa going? Good drive?

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

The drive is v long, even sharing with the other 2 I’m with.

But the diving is excellent , weather is mainly Scottish , wet & windy , although to be fair hasn’t hampered our diving at all.
    Dresden, Karlsruhe , kron Prince wilhelm and coln dived so far. Konig this morning hopefully.
    I still love the coln.

Wibble likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The Coln's my favourite too. Lots of penetration action to be had on her.

Do keep us up to date with your week. Nothing like having a vicarious holiday to take our minds off of the daily grind!

12. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Cheers for all your replies guys.

13. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Good dive this morning on the Konig , made sense of some bits I hadn’t before. Shallower bimble on the F2 & barge this afternoon. Gave me an opportunity to play , running manual , unplugging everything plugged in , auto air , suit , mavs etc bailout on / off , left / right clipped to arse etc. Buddy thought I’d gone mad. Plenty of fishy stuff to see as well.

Hopefully Markgraf tomorrow morning. Squeaky gas is out.

14. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Got an email this morning that BSAC Potteries Divers have three spaces available to Scapa on MV Valhalla at £350 for a week on 29 June, food extra. If interested, PM me and I'll forward the email.

15. AndyW

AndyW Member

I've seen loads of places going for an absolute steal. A whole boat for half price in one case. If I had any holidays left I'd be up there like a shot. In fact, I was tempted to take time off unpaid.

Seems that the draw of the centenary made people book really early. That's only going to exacerbate the fact that people are really f*cking unreliable. I wouldn't want to be a skipper dealing with it.

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Well that’s another scapa week done. We got on the Markgraf twice. Vis wasn’t the best there , coln twice, awesome , Brummer great. Just the obligatory last night pub night out to do. Over a week I’ve done close to 15 hours diving on some great wrecks, as Arnie says , I’ll be back.

17. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Wibble just reminded me in another thread , should be a link to a vid my mate just did from our recent scapa week , linked here with no kind permission and nothing to do with me (other than being in it)

He has a lot more patience than me.

NickPicks likes this.
  18. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve just got round to finishing mine from last year, but with poor mobile data abroad I can’t get onto Vimeo yet. When I do I’ll post here.

More than a few similarities at the start.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Rinsed my data but managed to upload it. No doubt as I’m posting from my phone there will be no preview but I hope that you all can watch it.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chimpus and NickPicks like this.
  20. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

All settled on Valhalla now and we are in the lucky position that due to some drop-outs and some of our party staying onshore we mostly have private cabins, I think there is only one cabin where there are two people in it.

Due to the centenary it’s busy up here, ferries are fully booked and along with the 8 resident boats there are 9 visiting boats, diver soup tomorrow.