1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scapa

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Iain Denham, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Just booked on for a first ever dive up in Scapa with Stroud BSAC June 8th woohoo!!!

Suffolkmatireland and Nick Ward like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@jps and myself are on our first one in May. Looking forwards to it; even the drive :)

jps likes this.
  3. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I'm on my first one in October 2020! Looking forward to it!

4. snowman

snowman Active Member

Iain, you'll love it - Only been the once, but I will try and get back sometime.

Sadly, my club can't see the appeal of driving to Scotland for a week's diving, when they can go somewhere warm and sunny for similar money, but they're missing out!

M

Iain Denham likes this.
  5. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Who's on what boat up here?

I'm currently half-way through what I think is my 55th week of diving in Scapa Flow and I have at least another 20 left to go in 2019. So I think I'm in a pretty good position to offer any advice that newbies might need. Feel free to ask either on here or by PM.

jps, Wibble and snowman like this.
  6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I might be talking myself into a week on huskyan early June. Got a few domestics to sort (like a week off work) but got a couple of mates on ccr who fancy filling some empty spaces. Dive, eat, sleep repeat (& drink a couple of beers!

Actually I have a question. Always been in October, what’s the vis generally like in June??

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Heard the water's currently 8 degrees. @jps will definitely need his suit heater.

And the price of helium these days.... 6.5p/litre. So won't be doing GUE fills - more like 10% for the deeper days!

jps likes this.
  8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Ccr , nuff said.

Wibble likes this.
  9. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

You can keep telling him....!

jps and Vanny like this.
  10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nay, I won't drink...

11. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Viz here is generally good but varies unpredictably. In May 17 we had 10 days of 25m+ but that didn’t happen last year. Today on the König was the best I’ve seen this year so far (on the German Fleet at least) at 7-10m

Vanny likes this.
  12. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Hi Nick,

We are on the MVJeanElane and staying at Hamnavoe Hostel the plan is to dive COLN, DRESDEN, BRUMMER, KARLSRUHE, KRONPRINZ WILHELM, KONIG & MARKGRAF plus some of the "block ships" any other suggestions from someone who has a lot of experience up there?

We are up on Saturday 8th and return 15th whats the water temp likely to be?

13. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Probably be around 10c by then, 7-8 at the moment.

For a first time visit, I’d stick to diving the German Fleet as you’ll want to dive some more than once, maybe add in the Bayern Turrets.

Tides will be ok for the Blockships towards the end of the week but I reckon they’re a bit ‘meh’. I’d sooner do a second/third dive on a battleship.

Iain Denham and Wibble like this.
  14. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Week off booked , wifee thumbs up , money paid. Weeks diving here I come , can’t wait ! Better than usual , normally booked 18 months in advance so just a month wait should pass pretty quick. Must get some cylinders tested !

15. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

You will absolutely need cylinders that are in-test if you want fills on Huskyan and, if you want nitrox/mix, you will need them to be ‘oxygen clean’.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yep no worries , I’ve a couple due a test , I’ll get them down to Kent. Might even treat my suit cylinder.

Are you on huskyan?

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Suit cylinder... must check that, thanks for the reminder

18. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The suit bottle caught us out once. With many out of test bottles we had O2 and diluent covered (12l of O2 and twinset of diluent) but we'd overlooked suit bottles.
    The daily ritual of getting an air fill (we had one bottle in test), decamping to the back of the car, and decanting and boosting, as required, was not very elegant. We made it work but it was not pretty.

19. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Sorry, if I’ve misunderstood this but are you saying suit bottles have to be in test on the Huskyan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes

nickb likes this.