1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scapa, MV Valkyrie - 19 to 24 May 2019

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Wibble, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

6 days of diving Sunday through Friday diving ze German fleet. Liveaboard for 7 nights (Sat to Sat). £670 inc air fills. Plus food, O2, He.

@jps and @Wibble are booked on. There's currently 4 spaces left (12 Nov) so need to decide very quickly.

Contact http://www.mv-valkyrie.co.uk/book-your-adventure/ directly.

Nick Ward, JohnL and jps like this.
  2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

If you’ve not been before you’ll love it.

3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Scapa is best done with a scooter

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

And a box...

Really looking forwards to it. Also going in October!

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

When are you just going to get a box? Don't necessarily go for the best box in the world or the box of your dreams, how about just a cheap Inspo and get some hours on it to see if you like it. At the end of the day you can probably sell it for the same as you bought it and be in a better position to know what you are looking for in your next box.

jps and Dave Whitlow like this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

SWMBO says I can have a box. But only if I either sell the boat or get a divorce. Divorces are expensive.

jps and Dave Whitlow like this.
  7. Dave Whitlow

sounds like an easy choice.

Best get the boat sold and get a box ASAP so you have the winter to get over the initial learning in preparation for next season as Scapa is a great place to build experience.

Also, I strongly recommend getting the recreational trimix mod 1 to avoid the expectation you'll contaminate a rebreather it with tyre gas!

8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Bloody long way on a scooter , much rather take my van , more room for kit and biscuits :whistling:

Cybes and Dave Whitlow like this.
  9. Dave Whitlow

Pedant :bang head:

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

My dad always says the best days of having a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Doomanic, Dave Whitlow and JohnL like this.
  11. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

From personal experience absofeekingloosely.

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I spent nearly £400 quid on gas when I did Scapa with the Gooers.

My Classic was under £800 and I didn't spend that much on gas on the 70 hours I dived it and less than 3 of those were on Scottish Nitrox.

Just. Buy. A. Bloody. Box. Already!

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  13. Dave Whitlow

Yes, once you have the gear CCR diving is cheap. If you don't take all your own gas (I do) the only cost for a week in Scapa is likely to be a few 3l bottles of oxygen with the occasional 3l of trimix you can air top for the next few days.

However, it isn't about the cost. CCR diving is just a better experience. It is calm and quiet with no need to rush. There is plenty of time for everything. There is no need to worry about the needle of death (SPG) beckoning you to ascend. Scapa isn't particularly deep so the logistics of the daily schedule tend to result in two 90 minutes dives each day. That can take dedication on some of the dives.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not been to Scapa before, but always one for my list. Have an October trip booked, but this one came up and was too much of a temptation.

Spoke to the owner who said the dives would be spread across the depths, shallow early on and deeper later in the week. This could allow me to bring a very rich mix in one twinset and decanting some -- one third? -- for an air top which would give a reasonable >20% mix, fine for 45m and enough to take the narc off without being too expensive. For elf'n safety, would mean mixing it off the boat though.

She suggested using a bottom stage with mix for the deeper parts, so maybe bringing my collection of ali80's filled with mix is another option. At least with a bottom stage it's 90% available, although don't want to jump on the He-free back-gas too deep!

Other options could be to rent a twinset from them for the shallow dives and bring my twinsets prefilled with mix for the deeper ones.

Or just pay the price (double what I buy it for).

Choices eh:)

Yes, I'd love a box, but we'll have to wait a bit longer for that. TBH I'd have a scooter before then.

Anyone know where I could rent a scooter and how much for the week?

15. nickb

nickb Active Member

I'll be here for most of the year again (including your dates). I'll have my old Sierra with me as a spare.

Do you know how to use a scooter safely?

16. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I've got an 80 full of 15/50 sat here doing nothing...