1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scapa Flow Set-Up

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by georgedavo, Oct 24, 2018.

1. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

I’m heading up to Scapa next September for a week and was wondering if a 15l and a 3l pony will suffice, or should I be looking at getting a twinset beforehand?

Not been there before so any experience/advice much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Depends what wrecks you want to do and how long you want to stay down there. You'll get longer bottom time and potentially be safer with a twinset but lots of these wrecks are doable on a single.

I myself would go twinset.

georgedavo likes this.
  3. AndyW

AndyW Member

Dive what you're comfortable with. Too many people strap themselves to a twinset they're not used to and then have a bad time. Unfamilar kit does not make you safer.

The wrecks aren't as deep as they seem due to their size. If this is your first week up their you'll probably find the cruisers to be better dives. These are shallower and upright so the interesting stuff is near the top.

Forget the kit, think about bottom times. Do you want to be doing deco? If not, you'll be fine with the single. If you do, the twinset and a stage for accelerated deco might be worth training for.

georgedavo likes this.
  4. georgedavo

georgedavo New Member

Cheers for the responses!

I would like a reasonable amount of bottom time especially due to the size of some of the wrecks, so I’d be planning to go into deco, but not a lot of it.

I’ll probably have a look at doing some twinset training during the next year, but it’s good to know most of the wrecks are still doable on a 15l

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Twinsets are great. They give you additional gas and redundancy.

However.... They need special techniques and configuration which needs to be learned and practiced. A lot. Specifically there's the valve shutdowns (for resilience), switching regulators (main and backup), and gas sharing techniques.

There's all sorts of configurations to dive with a twinset, probably the most common now-a-days is the DIR (Doing It Right :vomit:) configuration with a long hose. It's best to see what others dive and get some help, possibly on a course. Lots of courses are available; we'll all be happy to make recommendations.

Kit wise, it's normal to use a twinset, backplate with harness, two regs (two first stages, two second stages and one SPG), a wing and 'V' weights. Most of that lot are best bought second hand.

It really helps to dive with others in the same configuration, especially when learning. It's a great objective to get that sorted over the winter by diving in lakes/quarries.

#5 Wibble, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018