1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santi Smart Glove System

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Cybes, Mar 26, 2018.

1. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Update one year on....

I've now been using these Smart Gloves for an entire season (about 100 dives) and can honestly say that they are the best dry glove system I've used (and I've used quite a few).

I've had no more than a couple of occurrences of wet hands and those were due to an initial failure to get the right knack of donning them (which @becky9 referred to above) and one dive where I trapped the edge of the glove liner in the seal. These were immediately revealed as soon as I jumped in and a quick return to the boat for a fresh liner meant that I have never missed a dive. I've never had a failure during a dive.

They are comfortable to use and, although they are a little bulky, they don't feel that way due to the lightness and flexibility. Donning and doffing ones suit doesn't risk chipping any of the boat's paintwork or knocking a fellow diver unconscious as the suit arms flail around.

They have little in the way of raised edges, which means that sliding computers etc. onto ones wrists is very easy - they never snag. Likewise, reaching into small holes don't result in anything catching and risking them being pulled off.

If I could get them fitted to my Ursuit I'd do so*, but Santi will only fit these to their own suits. I'm certainly specifying Smart Seals to my new E-Lite+ when I order it next week (Black Friday deal).

* my Ursuit still has the Waterproof Ultima DGS and with the exception of the faulty O-ring fiasco (reported previously) they have been fine, although I've just snagged a new Fourth Element Ellipse system which I'll be reporting about once I've given them a go.

ericfine50 likes this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

How would you compare it with the Kubi system? (assuming you've had both)

3. ericfine50

ericfine50 New Member

I have about 12 dives using the Smart Gloves/Seal system. After getting used to getting the gloves on. They are popping on very easy now with a little lube. Compared to the KUBI gloves, I think both will be fine and work well. The Santi rings are flexible, but having used both. I think they are a 1a and a 1b type of option.

4. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I've never used Kubis.

They do look great and I've heard mostly good things. I really like the fact that one can get the right size, meaning people like me with smallish hands (8.5) can use smaller rings. A lot of divers on our boat use them, probably more than any other system, and I rarely hear complaints. Quite a few people do seem to struggle to get them on and off, although that usually appears to be a lack of grease. Some people seem reluctant to use it!

From what I've seen, fitting gloves to the Santi system looks a lot easier than fitting them to Kubi rings. It really can be a two-minute job once you've mastered it. I only use the heavy-duty textured latex gloves (cheaper from Kubi than Santi!) so I don't have the issue with having to invert them if you use Showas, which I found to be a ballache when I did it with my Ultimas.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

TBH I'm sure that all Kubi tips are equally applicable to the Santi system.

Have found the Kubis to be great too. Found that some lube -- or licking (actually dribbling) on the glove O-rings -- makes putting them on very easy. Have a pair of the extra-thick textured latex gloves on a spare pair of Kubi rings -- was an absolute nightmare fitting them as getting the outer "sealing" or O-ring protecting ferrule over the thick glove.

Main tip is to check the gloves before each dive by putting the ring over your mouth and chin and blowing. Holes in gloves are often surprisingly small. Mark the old gloves with an X/whatever as it's nigh-on impossible to find the holes again without putting them back on a ring.

Other thing I do is to have some 8 to 10cm lengths of string handy to tuck under the cuff seal. These should stick out so, should you slash the glove, you can remove it and pull out the string so your arm doesn't get soaked.

@nickb - why choose the Santi eLite+ suit? What made you opt for that and not, for example, Otter/Predator/O3/Hammond....? Given that you're effectively a (real) dive pro now, your opinions have a lot more credibility as it were!

6. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Just posted this elsewhere:

Regarding equalisation, I've tried using thin silicone tubes but it's a pain in the arse trying to put them under the seal and more than once I've done it wrong resulting it a squeezed hand on descent and a massive balloon on the end of my sleeve on the following ascent. Using the thumb loop on my undersuit has also resulted in a similar problem when it's disappeared back under the seal mid-dive.

I now use a thick cable tie that's been cut to about 3" long. I slide this under the seal on the back of my wrist and this has never failed. It also gives me the option to pull it out should I tear a glove (hasn't happened yet).

I've had an E-Lite for the past 3 years and it's been great - still is. Best suit I've ever had. The build quality is superb.

Santi's service and support is also great. Only a Santi would give me the option of Smart Gloves and I've just said that they are the best I've ever used and I use dry gloves all year round.

I'm not in the market for a 'budget' suit, so Hammond/Predator etc. aren't even on my radar. Otter suits are very good and the customer service appears to be every bit as good as that from Santi but the detail of the suits just isn't up to that of a Santi - just look at the pockets for instance. The new Atlantic does look very nice though.

O3 now do a membrane which looks OK but they are unproven. I'll wait until @Dave Whitlow puts his hand in his pocket and gets one before I think about one of those.

Wibble likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Tried cable ties, found they scratch and irritate underwater.

Use a piece of ~3mm string which I don't seal the ends of. Leave a centimetre or so sticking out.

I learned that when I slashed a glove on a wreck and found that tying string to the 'loop' of my undersuit sleeve was a bloody silly idea as you can't stuff it back under the wrist seal underwater. d'Oh. So just keep a few lengths of string in the glove bag.

Oh, and like yourself, always have a spare pair of undergloves!

8. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

That's why I use the big ones (about 6-8mm wide). I cut them short and round them off.

Unlike string/bungee/tubing they are rigid and therefore easy to just slide under the seal. They could dig into my wrist if I put them on the palm side but I've never found them irritating since putting them at the back of my wrist. Plus, they are not wicking, so will not soak any moisture that might get in up into my undersuit wrists.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Do you leave the 'tag' (lump, thing you thread the end into) on?

10. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Yes of course, that's what makes them easy to put in and pull out.

11. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

12. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I use the thumb loops of the undersuit and have never had a problem with them. However, user error is possible with any bit of kit @nickb ;)
    I can see the attraction of having options with the torn glove although the one time that did happen to me the crustacean responsible had a very much worse outcome than a wet arm!
    The O'Three trilaminate suit does seem good and will be an option when I buy. With O'Three, and their excellent customer service, within walking distance there is little doubt where my next suit is coming from. For the moment my exceedingly good value 5 year old Otter Britannic II still has life in it, and my spare Otter suit is also dry, so I don't need to change just yet.