1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santi Smart Glove System

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Cybes, Mar 26, 2018.

1. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Good stuff!

My new suit arrived today. So I get to match the gloves up to it. Dive it at the weekend all being well x

2. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Yeh Neil has access but I'd want to 'experiment' !

Initial versions of the glove rings were 3d printed on a pretty basic reprap clone by the look of it. Kiril was given them to test - 'don't be surprised if they leak - only a prototype... rough ... 3d printed... experimental' 100m later ...Kiril said they worked first time.....FFS! x

3. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Enjoy!

It's a touch nippy mind.

Out of interest which inner gloves do you use?

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I use some £3 thinsulate gloves from Primark but then I’m a cheapskate

5. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Thanks Cybes, yes it was, but successful. Gloves were fine.

I use the Lining out of my showa 460s with Fourth element wrist warmers. I have used Santi winter liners too, but not sure if they offer much more than the showa liners but decrease dexterity a bit.

The liners are the yellow ones like here - http://www.kiwikit.co.uk/double-glove-insulated/

Only difference is mine don't have the nice green piping as I they or normally stiched to the cuff of the 460s - cut the cuff and the pull the linning out - they are glued in at the finger tips but you can easily pull them out.

Of course you could buy the 495s as shown in the link ;) - the gloves themselves tho are a bit thicker and larger (they are triple dipped - as opposed to double dipped 660s and 460s) x

Edit: At the moment I do think the Kubi rings (attached to the seal) have the advantage over the Santi Smart gloves, mainly for lack of bulk. However its early days and I'm sure they will be fine. I agonized whether to change a winning formula tbh, don't have any regrets at the minute - but I do think kubis have the edge. x

6. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I take the point about bulk. I'm finding the smart gloves a little awkward when clipping to the shoulder rings.

Early days. Just needs a little thought. Probably raise my elbow a little higher to reduce the bend in my wrist. Second time in, I removed the bottom timer from my right arm leaving only the Perdix in place. A little more flex helped.

Gloves wise, I've just ordered a pair of Sealskinz's. I like the close fit, they're long enough to run through the wrist seal, and relatively warm when wet.

7. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I love my sealskinz socks, would buy again at the drop of a hat. Which specific gloves have you ordered? x

8. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

The Ultra Grip Gloves.

They're a fabric knit. Close fitting and stretchy.

My last pair proved so popular they went missing.

I'm going for a bright red pair this time. Hard to lose.

9. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Just wanted to add that I currently have a face on with the smart gloves. Had some dry dives and at least as many wet ones but I can live with a bit of learning curve, I'm less enamoured with the bulk of the system. Its all well and good having 'flexible rings' - which in all honestely aren't that flexible, but end up being at least 3 times the volume of the kubi rings and gloves. I'm also thinking that as cybes indicated sleeve length can present a problem. I'm currently at stage 1 of 5, in thinking I'll remove them and replace with a normal seal and use my exisiting kubi rings. I won't throw the towel in just yet, but first nail of sorts. x

edit: Oh yeh, I thought like my kubis that I could just lick the inside of the glove rings for lubrication. Santi recommend using silicone grease every 3 dives. Licking not working at the moment. Silicone did. x

10. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

11. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I guess with NickB following up on his waterproof gloves (waterproof - terrible customer service imho) I should follow up with the smart gloves update.

Yes I'm still using them, I figured out my problem. I was simply not using the correct technique in attaching the gloves to the suit. My original technique was pretty much the same way as I was used to doing with the kubis - keeping the glove and the suit ring completely parallel and then squeezing them together for the seal.

With the Smart Gloves the more reliable technique seems to be to affix one side of the glove the nearest to you - at an ANGLE, then pull your forearm into your chest so that you hold the glove against your chest where its already fitted in, then with your other hand pull the other side of the glove into place. This is much more reliable than my previous assumption. Its wierd because I'd watched Jason (jb2cool) put his gloves on in this fashion and didn't cotton on, its only after I discovered it sitting on a boat with wet hands and arm that it occured to me that he was doing it right ;) x

Anyways so they work and face on is no more. Do I still think that Kubis have the edge? I think so, I'm still not keen on the bulk of the smart gloves tbh, but your milage may vary.

On another tack...... yes @nickb I pulled the trigger on a 3d printer. I have printed numerous rings of my own design and they do work, even with 90mm kubis now. I've yet to print one for the Smart Gloves yet, but don't expect any real issues. I do have grating issues with the print quality I'm getting with my designs and trying to find filament thats as good as the sample spool that came with the printer, but they don't really effect functionality. I'm still very much in the learning phase as what can be done with the printer and what can't.

x

nickb likes this.
  12. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Quite late but still.... method 2....

Nickb kindly provided measurements for the Waterpoof ultima gloves, so will be having a go at doing a ring for those too.

x

nickb and Wibble like this.
  13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Rings available at reasonable costs

14. nickb

nickb Active Member

Brilliant stuff Becky.

Happy to test any Ultima prototypes when you have them. I have 4 sets now so could send you one if that makes things easier

becky9 likes this.
  15. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Thanks Nick, wow 4 sets lol, multiple hands :D x

16. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I am thinking of selling these and the Kubi ones, I've given a few away to people but its would start to get ridiculous as the print time and the costs just start to escalate. Whilst the cost of the filament to print a single ring isn't a lot, the amount of rings I've printed, tested, re-tested, prints failed, its a lot of time invested and offering them for nothing as much as i'd like to do I'd be on a hiding to nothing. Obviously ppl helping is different, but I think most people would understand x

17. nickb

nickb Active Member

Multiple suits and spares of varying sizes to suit different liners

18. nickb

nickb Active Member

My suit is back with Santi for a new neck seal and a leak test (leaky boots).

Whilst it's there I've asked for them to fit Smart Seals and Gloves. I saw the Smart Gloves in the flesh whilst I was in the Baltic in August and they look very nice and a little less bulky than the Waterproof Ultima system I've been using.

Revisting this post has been very useful. I might have to tap @becky9 up for a few of those helper rings.

If anyone would like to try the Waterproof Ultima system, I could come to a deal for the bits I've removed including a couple of pairs of Showa gloves (660s in 10 & 11) mounted to glove rings. This system can directly replace the SiTech system as it utilises the same ring that's glued to the suit cuff.

I'm still using the Waterproof system on my other suit (Ursuit BDS Kevlar) but don't need 4 pairs of gloves any longer!

19. nickb

nickb Active Member

My suit arrived back on Friday (impressive turnaround from Santi) and I got to dive it today.

The Smart Gloves are very nice. Not a lot less bulky than my Ultimas, if at all, but the flexibility and smoother, rounded edges make them seem less so.

I’d already seen the knack required for attaching them so both of today’s dives were bone-dry, which was just as well as today we started our winter survey of HMS Royal Oak here in Scapa Flow and both dives were essential for us to get the datum line and 3D photogrammetry calibration markers laid. Bailing due to a wet glove was not an option.