1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santi Smart Glove System

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Cybes, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Dry gloves. Lovely.

I've just treated myself to the Santi Smart Glove System. Looks good. Simple, straight forward. If it works as well as their "smart" wrist seal set up I'll be happy.

They are advertised as working with "your favourite dry gloves". Which is good as the Santi version are £27 a pop, for a glove which fits a wider hand with shorter fingers than mine.

The Showa's are a much better fit and a fifth the price.

All is good until I come to fit them and I realise that the inside of the glove, which seals against the removable ring, has a cotton mesh layer. This has got to leak, surely?

The salesman in the Santi video was using what looked like a showa when he made his "favourite dry gloves" claim.

Has anyone tried this combination?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Could it be that the glove's "reversed" when fitted? E.g. The glove cuff is rolled inside rather than outside so the smooth outer surface seals. This is the discussion on the Kube gloves thread.

3. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

The glove is held onto the mounting ring by an o-ring. The "gauntlet" is then stretched over the mounting ring, cut to size, then locked in place by a cover ring.

This makes for a secure fit, but still places the fabric layer at the sealing surface.

To me this has got to leak despite the sales pitch.

I'm testing the system for the first time this Thursday. If I get wet I'm going to be cursing myself as an idiot.

I'm tempted to change to something without the fabric layer. Shame as the Showa's are a good fit and seem flexible and durable.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sling your arm in a bucket or bin to see if it leaks?

5. nickb

nickb Active Member

It looks as if the o-ring is there to hold the glove in place and it’s the cover ring that does the sealing.

Like Wibble says, put your kit on and stick your hand in a bucket of water. It will soon soak through if the inside of the glove is meant to seal.

6. nickb

nickb Active Member

Seems like a good system. I like the flexibility.

I’d have probably had them on my E-lite when I bought it but it wasn’t out then and the previous system was shite.

Still happy with my Ultimas though, even though the rings are quite bulky

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are these updates to the Santi "Magic rings" system?

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

No, the Magic Rings was a system that basically nobody wanted or needed, I don't think it was very successful for them. The smart gloves builds upon the smart seal system and I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

@Cybes I have Showa 660s on mine but there is certainly a knack with fitting them, if you fit them like the normal gloves the water will wick up the lining and leak. I actually cut up the cardboard tube they came in and used that as a glove holder to assist in fitting these.

nickb likes this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

So you need to 'reverse' the gloves like with the Kubis?

10. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

The young chap in the Santi video, who's name escapes me at the moment, is the guy behind the design. We went to see them in poland, and whilst I knew Jason had his larger size 660s on the rings (as above) I was skeptical about fitting a size 9 glove to the rings, so I took a size 9 with me. It turns out he really prefers the showas, and he showed me how they put these on the rings. Its different how we (Jason, Me and the rest of the gang) would put them on. Bascially they turn the end of the glove back inside itself when its already on the ring, and the Band/O-ring that sits at the back of the glove does the sealing.

I'm not totally comfortable with this method, but have yet to try it. Simply - I know the other method works. However you do need some kind of helper ring. The way they do it, you don't.

I have a first version of a plastic ring that works but needs a little refinement. Its not as easy as the kubis but the ring has to be a lot larger.

edit: And yes wibble its pretty much the same idea as with kubis
    x

11. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Oh yeh he had his gloves in the office, which already had showa 660s on them. x

edit 4.7: ;) as soon as I've tried their method and confimed it works I'll do a video. x

Cybes likes this.
  12. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I put black Marigold's on this morning. I'll probably take them off again tomorrow. The Showa's feel better on. I just need to work out how to fit them.

The first o-ring looks like it's there to hold the glove on the flexible ring. The second o-ring / cover seems to be the one doing the sealing.

If I fold the cuff under itself so that the smooth surface is pressed into the recess in the flexible ring there will be four layers of glove material (two either side of the o-ring part of the o-ring ring cover) plus the o-ring part itself to fit into the recess. This seems excessive. If the o-ring part is not secure in the recess then it won't stay in place long.

I'm really interested in how the bloke from Santi has his set up.

13. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I'm not sure how you work out 4 layers?

1) Pull the glove on and overlap the back of the ring by about 3-4mm.
    2) Put on the first (thinner) O-ring - yes this is to keep the glove in place in respect of the showas.
    3) Turn the top part of the overhanging cuff material under itself and make sure its positioned flat in the top groove.
    4) Pull on the second O-ring / cover. This will be effectively only covering two layers of the glove material. (and yes this provides the seal)

I'll try to sort out some pics tonight to make it a bit clearer.

x

14. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Btw I have actually done the above a few times, just don't have the suit to try it with yet (tomorrow!). Was going to show it jason with his gloves, but as he'd already put them on his he told me to GB - i guess it was a bit of a struggle ;) x

15. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Hello Beck's,

Thanks for the advice.

You have four layers if the fold in the glove is outside of the seal ring. Two either side (=4) and two below the seal ring.

Your example puts the fold under the seal ring so there are two layers under and two on one side.

I have followed your advice. A little fiddly but not particularly difficult. I allowed enough length in the glove to fold it back to the first holding ring and place the "bend" at the back of the seal ring recess. It's hard to tell if the seal ring is sitting on top of or to one side of the glove material.

I'll find out tomorrow morning when I jump in

Tomorrow is a training day specifically aimed at getting familiar with these Drygloves and weighted for my new undersuit. I expect to be making adjustments to get everything comfortable.

The only thing I would add to your procedure is the use of double sided tape at the fold. This would help keep the material shiny side down. I found the material had a tendency to slip out of shape - the fold is only 8-10mm deep. I didn't have any tape to use but will be picking some up for my kit bag.

16. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I'm struggling to visalise but no worries :D

I think its a bit fiddly too tbh, its why I'm not totally happy with it. My solution (as opposed to this which is Santis) is to use a helper ring in the same way as I do my kubis. Its still a bit fiddly but the fiddly isn't in the seal part which is why I feel more comfortable using it.

I'd suggest you don't make sure you don't have any string or straws or anything through your seals to the dryglove (the equalising stuff) on the test flight.

Do let us know how you get on.

I'm toying with idea of a 3d printer to print the rings to do this and the kubis, but at the moment its finger hovering over the checkout button lol :D x

17. nickb

nickb Active Member

If you can get an appropriate CAD file you can get them made professionally, probably with better materials. Gotta be cheaper than buying a domestic 3D printer.

Unless you must have a 3D printer (which I am entirely sympathetic with)

18. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Ok, first time in with the Santi Smart Gloves today. Very impressed.

Easy to connect/disconnect. Worked well with the Showa's. No leaks to 20m. My hands got a little cold after 45mins, but then I was only using the thin knitted Kubi undergloves.

I didn't have any tubing in the wrist seal, running the underglove through the seal. "Jazz hands" to put air into the glove when needed.

Three points.
    1: the longer suit ring which is needed for the glove system encroaches on the wrist. It adds a bit of bulk most noticeable when clipping regs and lights to the d-rings. It's evident but less of a hindrance when reaching for the valves.
    2: the flexible ring system is a lot easier to use than my friends Kubi's. The hard rings took a bit of encouragement to work.
    3: I need to carry spare inner gloves. Dry in the water, they got wet when de-kitting.

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Bloody annoying when you realise you've just got your dry hand wet and there's another dive ahead!

Need to use a glove hand to remove the glove from the other hand before it gets wet. If you then take the dry inners off and stuff them deep inside the gloves and make sure they're open side down so water doesn't drip in (or shove them into the glove bag).

20. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

A daft mistake. Still getting my procedures sorted out.

It'll still be good to carry a spare set