1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ruptured eardrum

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Steve Brind, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Steve Brind

Steve Brind New Member

Hi all,

I have been told that following a flight that on descent i ruptured my eardrum. This was 4 weeks ago and i am still having problems.
    On my recent visit back to the quacks i was told to buy a nasal spray which would help its repair.

Has anyone else suffered with this and how long does it take to repair or is this the end of flying and diving for me ??

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

As long as it's straightforward and no complications, should heal within a few weeks. I had one as a teenager with no lasting effects.

Watch out for getting water in there and don't poke anything in your ear. You don't want to complicate it with an infection.

Get the doc to look at it again before you go diving to make sure it's fully healed. You could phone one of the chambers for some advice and reassurance from a diving doc if you think it would help. The docs at the Midland dive chamber are very helpful. I'm sure any of the others would be too.

Good luck with the recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

At least it's at the end of the season.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I had a minor rupture after a too rapid ascent that was quite quick to close - about three weeks I think. The outer ear remained sore for quite a while afterwards. I am very careful now both on descent and ascent to take it slow. The norm seems to be that they sort themselves in time, just a question of waiting.