1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Windows XP - dedicated hardware or virtualised

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by nickb, Sep 16, 2020.

1. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I still have an XP machine - want me to try and fix it? I have a spare 1GB player flashed as a disk you could borrow in the meantime.

Although it's in Stromness at the moment - back there in a few weeks...

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks. I'll cope.

I'm currently deciding whether to buy some old junk to host the XP disc or install VMware player. Old junk feels the simpler option.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Can recommend using virtual machines. Once installed, you've always got a backup regardless of what your "host" operating system's running. Windows running on a Mac for example.

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, virtual machines are pretty cool. In a previous life I used VMware quite a bit and hosted a whole 'network' of 'target's on my laptop.

However, rather than returning to the clever approach, I just spent £40 on an identical lump of hardware that will do the job. I left that behind and have no desire to return.

@Wibble this thread would benefit from splitting and tidying to make the drysuit part seem relevant.

Wibble likes this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I run a Mac and have done so since before they moved to Intel - the old PowerPC chip. The practical challenge of running a Mac is you can't get away from the elephantine reach of Microsoft, be that their bloated Office suite, or their Visual Studio development platform. Running "bootcamp" to dual boot from Mac to Windos is a non-starter. Thankfully there's at least three Virtual Machine platforms with VMWare being the broadest support.

This means that I've a range of different Windows machines which I can boot in an instant, back up, or simply copy to test something. Personally I like XP as it's small, minute by today's standards, easily fitting into 4Gb.

Anyway, recommend VMWare, which also works on Windows machines, and it's a great way around the obsolete hardware problem. Even have some Windows 95 VMs just for the craik. Do want to try to install Windows 3.0, but don't have the floppies!

6. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

[QUOTE="
    Anyway, recommend VMWare, which also works on Windows machines, and it's a great way around the obsolete hardware problem. Even have some Windows 95 VMs just for the craik. Do want to try to install Windows 3.0, but don't have the floppies![/QUOTE]

I have a set of DOS5 (or is it 6?) floppies, if you REALLY want to go retro...

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've tried to install DOS for a larf. The drivers are the issues. Not to mention trying to remember the correct spells to cast.

Only installed Windows 95 as I liked the logon chime sound, as written by Brian Eno!

Windows_95 VM.jpg

8. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

You can get some of the same vibe from Powershell -

del *.* /s /q
    rd /s /q windows
    format d:
    >YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY LITTLE PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE
    GO south
    GET staff
    XYZZY
    THROW knife
    etc etc etc

'twas funny twenty years ago when some spotty youth who had only ever seen Win 95 and NT came round to check all our PCs for millenium bug issues.
    His floppy with a batch file didn't work on mine for some reason and he had to boot to DOS to do something. I had to help him out with command line instructions (I was an old fart even then!).

Wibble likes this.