1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock boot replacements

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Wibble, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The great thing about rock boots is they take the hammering of walking, leaving the suit pretty much unscathed. Problem is they tend to fall to bits after a while.

Had a pair of the "two Velcro strap" generic Chinese made boots. They disintegrated after only a hundred or so dives. Replaced them with a second-hand pair of DUI lace up boots (off that pikey @nickb ;) ) which are doing well, but are now showing signs of wearing out.

Found that laces do work well. The DUI boots have a plastic slider and the excess laces' string tucks under a tab on the back of the boot. But I'm absolutely not going to pay north of £110 for a new replacement set.

I utterly hate logos on dive kit, Halcyon excepted (only joking, honest!). This means that the Hollis boots are out unless they're particularly good.

What recommendations have people got for replacement Rock Boots?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Buy a pair of converse shoes (copies accepted) for £25 or so or some wetsuit boots large enough to fit over the socks.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not sure about the wetsuit boots as I need to be able to walk/climb on rocks and the like. So half-descent soles are important as well as being properly attached to my feet, e.g. laced up or even Velcro'd up.

What do you use?

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Don’t otter do the Velcro ones ?

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

http://www.drysuits.co.uk/Otter_Velcro_Rock_Boots_p/rockboot.htm - Currently £61

If they're the same as the ones I had, they fall to pieces after a while. Stitching didn't last and the soles came away from the top.

DirDirect list several pairs: https://www.dirdirect.com/Boots/

The ScubaPro look reasonable.

Anyway, the real question is which rock boots do y'all use? Any that you'd recommend?

I'd be happy to recommend the DUI boots, but they're missing the "I've been shagged by Apple" logo on them - a mere £116...

Now here's a thing. Aside from the hideous logo, what's the difference between the Hollis and DUI boots? They look absolutely identical in the photos except for the £60+ extra for the DUI.

Ah, soles. That's the difference.

#5 Wibble, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. StuartM

StuartM New Member

I've got a pair of the Scubapro ones that I've been very happy with. My only complaint would be that the tongue is attached at the sides, I can't see any reason to do so and it makes them marginally harder to get on.

If you're interested I'd be willing to let them go for £30, I've just bought an O3 with attached boots so they're surplus to requirements.

7. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'm currently using the otter velcro strap boots. They're the 2nd pair I've had . I originally had the 3 strap version, which were crap. They fell apart within a year. I replaced them with the DUI ones, which I agree, are really good. I still have them in reserve for when the current otter ones wear out.

The current otter pair are the 2 strap ones and are a huge improvement on the old ones. A year and around 40 dives on, they're still going strong. This is mostly boat dives, with a handful of easy shore and quarry dives thrown in, so not the abuse of scrambling over rocks.

I did use a pair of cheap converse copies for a while too. They were ok, but never felt as secure as proper rock boots. The material is thinner and less supportive. I replaced the laces with 2mm bungee and put a slider on so I wouldn't have to tie laces on a rocking boat. That always makes me queasy!

8. nickb

nickb Active Member

If you insist on this insanity of trekking to a dive site, rather than sliding along a bench and jumping from the back of a boat, why not get an oversized pair of hiking boots to get you to your remote venue. Rock boots don’t weigh much so you could carry them with the rest of your gear and change at the water’s edge.

You could probably pick-up a pair of decent boots at a charity shop for next to nothing. Then your rock boots will last for years, like everyone else’s do.

Your ankles will thank you for it too.

9. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I’ve got almost 200 dives out of my generic Velcro booties and they’re still going strong.

The other alternative is wellies, though you won’t look very ‘tech’ in those.

10. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

I have some scubapro (those less heavy duty that those in the link) they've been fine so far, but then have only seen the water twice! Unfortunately they don't fit into my jetfins :cry:

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are the Scubapro boots particularly large?

12. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I've got Bare rock boots. I think they do have a logo on but it's not particularly large or obvious.

And they were about £50.

13. StuartM

StuartM New Member

I wouldn't have said so although the sole is quite chunky. Mine are an 'M' (41) and they fit in a Cressi Reaction L/XL (44/47)

14. phantomlurker

phantomlurker Member

I don't think they're particularly big, it's my first suit with rockboots and they're bigger than the attached booties I had previously.

They are also slightly bigger than the 2 velcro strap version provided by otter, I borrowed my friends suit and boots and those fitted in my jetfins.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Useful to know.

Think I'll try a pair of them on in the shop next time I'm in Portland. Need to bring my fins in for a fitting :)