1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement drysuit dryglove cuffs - e.g. Kubi

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Wibble, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Going through a spate of ripping my Kubi cuffs on my drysuit.

Dug out the replacement latex set to discover they'd perished -- more like BluTac than latex. I've always preferred Silicone seals anyway as they've more stretch and don't perish. But they do rip!

So replaced my torn cuff with a Waterproof silicone cuff, all fine. Two dives later it ripped in half. Thankfully one more spare left.

Been researching options. Seems there's three options:
    • Waterproof 'standard' thickness which are thin and the one I've just torn - about £24/pair
    • Waterproof 'HD' thickness which apparently are thicker - about £33/pair
    • Si Tech seals which have worked fine for years on my drysuit. These are thicker than the Waterproof standard ones, but aren't easy to source online. So just ordered a pair from my LDS. About £24/pair (sold singly)
    Which seals do you use and any recommendations / preferences?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Just latex for me. I did like the idea of silicone for the non-perishing properties but it’s more prone to ripping and if punctured it can’t be repaired like latex and since I have a ring system then I can swap out a seal in about a minute.

3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I use the regular silicone seals. I can't remember tearing more than one in the past 12 months.

I use Jollop or vet lube (whatever is around) to help get them on and keep my fingernails trimmed so that I don't rip them when I taking them off. I don't have big hands though (size 9) so maybe that makes doffing them a bit easier.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I think I'm suffering from the No 99 bus syndrome; haven't torn one in years and two get torn and the replacements had perished.

Going through the spares box, I found a couple more latex seals, so might try them if all else fails.

Have ordered the Si Tech ones which have lasted for years.

5. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that either Waterproof or Si Tech actually make these things. They will probably all be moulded in the same factory and may or may not have a bespoke name put on them.

Like buying Aspirin or Ibuprofen, picking a brand is irrelevant.

Wibble likes this.
  6. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I carry a spare set of SiTech wrist seals in my tool box. They were £15 from seaskin (sold as a pair), and take about 5 mins to replace.

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

I find silicone seals more comfortable than latex (as close fitting, but never feel tight).

I did tear a wrist seal once (taking my suit off), but as Nick says, takes a few minutes to replace and, like him, I carry a couple of spares.

M