1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reminder to service first stages now and again....

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by nickb, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Newest post according to index is NickB a week ago. Last post I can see is from 2020…

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I have 3 old Scubapro Mk20 regs that I use on my various bailout cylinders and they haven't been serviced in at least 5 years. That wouldn't necessarily be a problem if I'd made any effort to rinse them periodically but they've mostly sat out on the deck of MV Huskyan in Scapa Flow, at least for the past 4 years.

As they've been bubbling (considerably) and generally underperforming, I thought I'd bring them home whilst I'm back in Cardiff and give them a once over.

I use piston regs for bailout as they are much more tolerant of flooding but there is an ambient chamber that's open to the elements at all time and that's where most of the problems lay.

When I stripped them down, they were pretty much seized-up. I may neglect my kit but I do test its functionality prior to (most) dives so I'm surprised that they had actually continued to function.

Anyway, I managed to get them back in pristine condition* after a few hours work including much soaking in a strong citric acid solution in my ultrasonic (they still required a bit of steel wool and elbow grease to remove the limescale).

Maybe I'll have a look at the 2nd stages one day but they're working just fine right now. Gotta love Scubapro kit - it's bulletproof.

* I cleaned and re-used most parts - even the o-rings but I had to open one of my service kits to replace a few bits that were beyond help.

jps and splinter like this.
  3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I think there's a glitch in the matrix

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What's the opinions on Apeks DSTs and DS4s for this kind of usage profile?

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I serviced all my first stages (DST/DS4) when I did the O2 Technician course in 2015. Most stayed on bailouts, with the din wheel needing the occasional desalting, and had little attention. A few were swapped out but most completed the course.

They were all serviced this year :)

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What was the course like? Did you service all your regs on that course?

Would seem like a good value for money thing to do -- and interesting -- given the number of regulators "we all" own.

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The course was in Cardiff, over a couple of days, and it looks like they still offer the course . There was some theory and a lot of hands-on and we had use of their facilities whilst we were there (service kits were extra).

Yes, all mine were serviced :D

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Have seen that a few times and have often thought it would be an excellent winter project.

MadUKDiver likes this.
  9. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Perfectly adequate. I still own a few Apeks regs including two brand-new US4s that came with my latest JJ (I swapped them, out for Scubapro Mk11s).
    As I said, I prefer piston regs over diaphragm for bailout as they are more tolerant of flooding. I also prefer Scubapro over Apeks as they are far better built - the service kits are cheaper & more easily sourced too.
    The course is excellent but it might be worth confirming with Neil whether he's still running it. He seems to spend most of his time these days doing commercial training and support.

10. splinter

splinter Active Member

The course is still running and theres a couple coming up, one in September and one in october. Saw it on facebook recently.

One of the prerequisites is that you need to have done a nitrox gas blending course beforehand, but they are running one the day before the course begins if needed.

I'm very tempted to do the course myself. I'll have to see if it fits around time off work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nickb likes this.
  11. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've done the course, way before I qualified as an Apeks technician. I did it after a return trip from Afghan where my servicing bill was over £1000. For the cost of both courses, all my wife's regs got serviced 5 sets, and a number of our twinsets and stages were O2 cleaned.

The courses still run but to note, he only offers them mid-week

TPG.

splinter and Wibble like this.