1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regulator servicing

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Leeb2018, May 5, 2019.

1. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Hi guys

I want to start servicing my own regs. I was just wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy service kits.

Cheers

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Neil Brock at Bristol Channel Diving does an excellent O2 Service Technician's course.This is not a brand-specific regulator servicing course but is more than sufficient for home serving ones own kit.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is this the course:
    https://www.bristolchanneldiving.co.uk/o2-service-technician

I believe that Apeks kits aren't available to the public in the UK (apparently only available to certified centres), so you need to get them from elsewhere in Europe (I've heard Holland or Spain).

I'm considering doing something like this as I've quite a few regs now and I'm damned if I'm spending £1k+ on servicing them in my LDS!

4. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I got a technician that has been servicing for 25 years. I got in well with him and he willing to teach me about servicing. I can get the AP service kits from AP. I just need somewhere to get service kits for my apeks and oceanic bail out regs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You will also need to do blender, it’s a pre-req. Do the course, it’s great. You’ll get your regs serviced & cylinders o2 cleaned as part of the course so it’s actually cheaper to do the course, earn a qual & get knowledge, than it is to service the kit.

Couple of points:
    1. Neil only runs them mid-week.
    2. He’ll only let you do 1 type of regs so you become competent. If you dive Apeks, less flights & egress (although there are similarities), Apeks are generally all the same. So you’ll be fine taking them regardless which models you have.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick Ward likes this.
  6. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I am already a trained gas blender. If you do a reg service course does this help with obtaining service kits?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Officially, no. As discussed it’s not a reg servicing course, it’s an o2 cleaning course.

But in order to clean you need to strip, then rebuild, then setup & test. So basically a service!

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wibble likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As it happens I did the DSAT blending course (LDS is PADI) a few weeks back. Silly thing is that I can't fill my own tins as I'm not an employee!

With the exception of a couple of Mk25 1st stages for sidemount, all of my regs are Apeks.

9. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

General punters can't just do a reg servicing course. As I understand things, you need to be an employee of a shop that has a dealership agreement with the brand that you wish to service.