1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regulator advice

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Richard65, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Richard65

Richard65 Active Member

It looks like my old second hand reg needs yet another service so I an thinking about buying new kit. It is possible that I will move back to the UK in October so if I buy anything new it must be good for cold water use as well. What recommendations do you have for this bit of kit?

Is it worth buying the first stage and the regulators separately and using my old hoses and console?

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

In the UK the default position is Apeks and ii'm not going to be any different :)

Main thing is they are bullet-proof and serviced everywhere. Don't bother with
    hi priced variants a simple ATX40 stage 3 of DS4 First, ATX40 2nd and ATX40
    Octopus* is fine.

I'd sell the lot and start afresh, reg hoses come with the 2nd stages, so all that's
    left is BC and HP hose (maybe drysuit later) , so i'd get new of those as well.
    Console will be ok, but ignore moans to change if you've been happy with it upto
    now. If it is a bit beaten up though, worth bying new anyway and sticking it on the
    old rig when you sell it.

*If you twin-up or go long hose it's still an easy hose swap, so doesnt effect anything.

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Apeks DS4/ATX40 combo. Superb regs and cheap too. Talk to Sam at Just Apeks for the best price.

4. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

I'm pretty sure the general consensus will be apeks atx 40 second and octo with ds4 first stage, from just apeks.

That's the advice I was given and glad I listened as they are great. I went for a simple brass guage (air) to keep it simple. I am thinking maybe a simple depth gauge on the wrist maybe required just in case my computer packs up though.

Not sure what others do about this.

Te more experienced crew will hopefully take over from here with anything or correct me if needed :)

5. Doomanic

Staff Member

6. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Already posted while I was typing :)

7. Doomanic

Staff Member

I carry a Uwatec bottom timer in my drysuit pocket at all times.

8. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash Active Member

What made you decide it needs a service? Is it just time... or an issue?

9. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Will have a search for one thank you :)

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I use a 2:1 console with a D-timer.

The extra 50mm makes no difference, but as it's attached to my regs it's bloody hard
    to lose or take out when washing the drysuit. Never get's left on the boat as has happend
    once with my computer :whistling: To me it's a backup, so things have already gone bad with the
    comp and really want it to be there. Same applies to the compass on the back.

It goes under the shoulder strap of wing or BC depending what i'm using and can see
    both SPG & D-timer by just glancing down :)

11. Richard65

Richard65 Active Member

Given the amount of diving I do I try to service it once a year which is now due, I have found that i get a very small annoying loss of air when I go beyond the horizontal (thats not very well explained but I have a small amount of air escape from my regulator when my head is lower than my feet), last night i found my spare reg had a small free flow (not worry I stole my daughters reg as she was not using it). In addition I bought it second hand and have done some 400+ dives with it so have had my moneys worth.

12. CaptainPugwash

Good work! I was just curious.... I recently bought the ATX40 / DS4 combo... and was wondering if I ought to service it every year, or after a particular number of dives...

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Dan, i have an old bottom timer going spare. Send me your address and i'll post it to you.

Dan Payne likes this.
  14. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Cheers dude. Pm on its way.

15. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Also, refuse to dive with anyone that types Apeks as Apex

16. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It will usually go wrong when it's new or when it's serviced and I wouldnt even bother
    until it's got 2 years on it, if that. Main thing is to learn to check hoses and know when it
    doesnt feel right. The strain covers that go over the hoses at the ends can be a problem,
    they can hide the bulge in the hose where it's crimped which although infrequent is a
    known failure point.

Also if you use din, make sure the din fitting is nice and tight, it gets losened when it
    gets taken off.

Main thing though is just to dunk it in clean water, it's the sea and chlorine salts that can
    do the worst and why it's worth buying a cheapo ultrasonic bath for the hose ends alone.

Dan Payne and CaptainPugwash like this.
  17. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

When I rinse my regs I pull back the strain covers to make sure tha it is all rinsed. What is this chlorine that you speak of?

Richard65 likes this.
  18. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol, that will be those that clean them really well after being in the sea,
    but don't bother because it's the pool.

19. CaptainPugwash

I am guilty of this....

20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I always used to rinse my poolkit, but I never rinse any of my kit after the sea, oh with the possible exception of neck seals when doing a more than a few days when I can remember- but thats more to do with keeping it off my neck than anything x