1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regional groups

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Cybes, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Reading through the forum posts it seems that there are a number of members who dive reasonably regularly with each other. This may be because of their location or preferred dive spots. Maybe they even get on well (not that they would necessarily agree with each other or admit to this).

As one of the bigger problems for new divers is finding someone to dive with, building up a list of people in their area who they can call upon when the opportunity arises is pretty important if they want to continue or to improve.

Whilst the forum does offer the option of adding your location I don't see a way to search the members list based on region or area. Would this not help members organise themselves?

I see a lot of posts for dive meets in the South but nothing for anywhere else. Foreign trips excluded :geek:

I'm based near Manchester, which is in the midlands in case anyone is confused. Newcastle, wonderful place that it is, is North.

I don't see regular dive groups getting together in these areas. Seems strange.

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A simple solution is to put your location under your Avatar or as part of your sig/profile.
    That way those in the same area are more likely to reply if you put a shout out for buddies.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Feel free to start a thread of your own.

Wibble likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As someone from the Deep South, near Brighton, I've been amazed at how far I've driven over the last couple of years in my quest for dive sites.

There are plenty of inland sites in the South, but they're all pretty shallow and silty. So for 'decent' inland diving it's often meant a six-hour round trip to NDAC, Vobster or Stoney. Doable in a day, but a long one. I think your 'local' ones are Capenwray and Dorathea (sp?).

For "proper" diving in the sea, I've used a lot of different locations and dive boats. My primary source of turn-up-and-dive was a local PADI shop with a RIB. This was easy because they're used to pairing people according to skills, kit and experience. I've outgrown them now due to the type of diving I do; a twinset on a RIB doesn't make you Mr Popular, and being paired with a singles diver with an air fill can be rather irksome when you've 50% longer on Nitrox.

A lot of other diving is done by going away for a weekend, c.f. Plymouth, Farnes, Eyemouth, Weymouth, etc. Sure, more expensive, but good fun and nice to spend a whole weekend immersed in diving.

So, with you being pretty much right in the middle of the country, do you have any relationship with any dive shops on the coast? It's worth building a relationship to get some diving in. It's possible to join a club, such as a local BSAC club, but this will require a bit more commitment. Having said that, it's often a good route to go until you've developed relationships with other divers.

And finally, as @jb2cool said, please feel free to post on here if you're thinking of going somewhere.

Edit: All diving is proper diving...

5. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

It is? Wow then I am confused ;) :D

I think where you are the idjits would be your best bet. Whilst there aren't as many of them diving as there used to be, there are still a few. They tend to frequent capernwray. If I remember you have a adopted a dir rig? You'd be very at home diving with these guys and are quite a laugh. There is a fb group where they generally talk shit and organise. I tend not to go up there anymore, at least not without a specific reason, but do occasionally go on trips with them. x

6. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

:D x

#6 becky9, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Wow, that means with my 14 pool dives, I'm up to 25!

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Hmmm... :D

9. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Knock yourself out :D x

10. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

I know people who log pool dives!!!!

11. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

They have time ..............

12. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

uk.gif
    Manchester. There it is, right in the middle :woot: Newcastle is North. Did i mention it is a wonderful place?:whistling:

I was introduced to the Idjits last year. As you say they frequent Capernwray a lot. i just need to find a way to change my schedule to fit in with theirs. Working hours monday to friday are easy, weekends are gold dust.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Gosh, all that land norf of London, who'd a thought it!