1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Hat Wings

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by kevin b, Aug 8, 2018.

1. kevin b

kevin b Member

Are red hat wings & harnesses any good.

2. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Got one recently - well made and simple. First wing for me, so nothing to compare it with but have received a number of positive comments from other club members. First try in a pool went well, good trim with no weight needed in swimming costume/shirt. Last night, in a dry suit, the loan cylinder had been forgotten and turned up after 45 minutes and the "someone to help you sort out weighting/buoyancy was missing", so not much achieved. Trim remained good with 2kg on the lower cam belt and 4kg on my back weight belt pockets (I have six) and not only removed the face forward tendency at the surface but slowly rolled me onto my back. Next time, I'll try with the 4kg in the mid pockets and see if that holds me vertical on the surface.
    John Hewitt, who is a one man band selling Red Hat is a character - Google his rant if you've got some time spare, he has strong views on pretty much all diving subjects. :whistling:

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you sure you are not mixing up Hewitts? Nigel has the rant page

5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

You are quite right - put it down to age.:sorry: Having met John, who also has strong views - particularly on people that are rubbish on practical things (like assembling wings!), I merged the two Hewitts in my mind. Apologies for any confusion.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nigel’s rant is very good though. Lots of great info

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

I bought a deluxe harness, 50lb wing and stainless backplate back in March to use with my newly acquired twinset.

Like John, I have no previous wing experience to speak of, but I found diving with the twins and wing remarkably easy to adapt to.

I've had positive comments from other divers about the look of my harness and wing.

They do one piece harness, but I like the recreational style with clips for the diving I do.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk