1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebreathers, Differences?

Discussion in 'Rebreathers Closed and Semi Closed Circuit' started by Sidemount_Stu, Mar 21, 2015.

1. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

The Hollis unit is aimed at the recreational diver, I could see a use for it on livaboards where your in that nitrox use but most suck a 12lt dry long before there NDL is up. You can flog a two day coures and refresher courses etc. less bubbles so closer to fish. Its designed to be able to be taken on as hand luggage, you just pay for the scrubber. The cost is a big thing but a bulk deal where you hire them is possible. Perhaps 5 years away but not improbable.

2. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

Diving CCR IMHO is not something that is for the rec market. It's not really something you do once a year.

There's a very definite skill set that needs to be maintained especially when things go Pete tong.

A couple of year ago I think it was in Spain 2 divers died because they hadn't fitted the scrubber into the unit....

BK

3. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

We cant breath underwater so if things go wrong then we are introuble. At the moment I agree with you BK for me the benifit of a CCR or a hollis type unit is not worth it against conventional scuba. But in a few years time It may have developed. Nitrox was voodo gas when i first strated but even some old buggersI know have relented and used it :).The biggest trouble with CCR is you dont know your dying rising levels of CO2 is very good way of dying.

4. Joe

Joe Active Member

My Poseidon mk6 is my toy and hobby some people spend a lot more money on their hobby then I do. As for prepacks scrubbers I can get them for £ 20,00 but I pack my own about £ 8.00 a time my 02 use means I could do 5 to 6 hrs on 1 but I limit that to 4hrs max, I dived today Did 2 dives and was in the water waiting for OC buddys on both, you pays your money and make your choice

5. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

With regards JJ vs inspo I'd liken it to cars. Looked at an Audi but the dealer was a twat and wouldn't budge off list price so I told him where to go. Went with a Mazda of a better yet spec for a much better price. Not a moment of regret in 2 years. Similarly if/when I go CCR is go for an inspo/vision.m
    Or maybe a Meg.

Badknees likes this.
  6. Badknees

If the JJ is the audi the the MEG is a BWM.

The good and bad thing about a MEG is they hold their money extremely well. When I sold my last unit I actually made money. You can't say that often with diving kit.

BK

7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

You mean it has no indicators?

Badknees likes this.
  8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

How well supported is the Meg in the UK?

9. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I know Scapa Scuba carry full spares for the Meg, and run a Meg week. Don't know more than that.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Meg were at the London Dive Show, along with a couple of other manufacturers.

11. Badknees

the support isn't to bad. Denis Visser is the UK dealer and he can pretty much get want you need or good direct to Leon at the factory in the states.

New units are still pretty expensive so the best option was to fly over and bring one back as hand luggage.
    I could pack my down to meet easy jets hand luggage sizes which makes it cheap to take away.

The new control consoles are shearwater so there back up is naked at 90.

Never had any issue getting parts.
    Plus there's not a lot to go wrong.

Megs still demand top dollar second hand if you buy well then you might even make money after a few years use.

BK

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What are the typical running costs for a rebreather? The per-dive cost (assuming gas & lime), and the servicing cost including scheduled part replacements (e.g. oxygen sensors each year)?

13. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I'm assuming you know Garry is giving up Diving and selling his Meg???? Be worth having a chat with him maybe????? (or maybe that's what prompted this question? ;) )

14. Badknees

after purchase the running costs are mining

Line, testing and consumables. Cells are around £90 each

The big saving is on gas but only if doing 60m plus.
    Over in Malin the a weeks diving on 60 - 80m wrecks gas bill £39
    A couple of guys on OC nearly £600!!!

Add the additional bottom time we were getting over 45mins compared to 15 mins on twins.

The majority of my diving was around 80m plus so the high purchase cost was soon recouped in reduced gas bills.

But you do end up with lots of bailout cylinders full of mix. Because it's cheaper to buy a cylinder than bleed off gas!!!

shallow stuff then OC is less faff, less risk

BK

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

I didn't at the time, but Steptoe's Meg is well out of my price range. It does illustrate BK's assertion that it's possible to make a profit on them though... I have seen a couple around the £2.5k mark but have never really considered them as a contender so know fuck all about them.

I'd be more comfortable with a bereaver, any bereaver, if I had a mate/acquaintance with one to use for hand holding in the early days. So now G is selling his, that's the Meg off the list.

16. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Sounds like a sensible approach.... so does that put you back in the Inspo Classic or Vision range?

17. Doomanic

Staff Member

Or Kiss Classic or JJ.

Sidemount_Stu likes this.